Would you take them away?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kelsey2017, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Kelsey2017

Kelsey2017 Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    My ducks began hatching their eggs yesterday! I have never had any offspring born yet on our farm and it is so exciting, but I am a nervous wreck! The two mamas are sharing a nest and now that there are some ducklings born it seems like they are not covering all the eggs anymore, they are also moving around on the nest and I don't want the eggs broken. The eggs were at different stages when I candled them, so should I take away the babies or some eggs? I feel like I should take the babies because I have no experience with hatching and it seems the ducks are doing a good job of that, although I found one dead duckling that had gotten away this morning. There seems to be 5 hatched out now but there were 21 eggs total so I am looking for advice. I don't know how to set things up good for the babies to get food/ water and I have not seen the ducks take them over to the food/ water yet. They are contained by a 4' by 6' enclosure so that the chickens cannot harass them. I know that if I put them in a brooder I could watch that but it seems mean to upset my lovely ladies.

I know, I know where are the pictures right? Great-grandma will bring a camera over tomorrow. THEY ARE SO UNBELIEVABLY CUTE!!!!! The ones hatched so far look a lot like daddy, well, they are yellow and black right now not black and white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by