Wound care advice needed/ Update

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CMV, Nov 8, 2011.

1. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have a wounded duck. (Here's the full story https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=595207.) I am still not sure if she is going to survive her injuries, but I am trying to plan for her eventual recovery. She is part of my free range waterfowl flock, so she is not used to being handled. The stress of the injury, the isolation from her flock, the forced closeness with humans (she's inside the house in a small cage) have made her life a living hell...and it's been less than a day. She needs to go back to her flock as quickly as is possible.

Her wounds are-
    - A 2 inch flap of skin around her neck has been partially removed. It has been cleaned, steri-stripped closed as much as possible, and currently has thick layer of Neosporin, Telfa and Vet Wrap holding it all together. This is just a flesh wound, but is the most problematic due to the size.
    - A puncture into the adipose tissue of her neck where her neck meets her body. It has been cleaned and Blukoted. This one looks OK and should be fine.
    - A moderately severe crush injury to her neck and throat. This one is the one that may kill her. She is having difficulty forcing air through the swelling in her throat. She has laryngeal damage and cannot quack at all. Her breathing is labored, wheezy, and sounds like there may be some fluid building up in her throat. I fear she may have a puncture in her windpipe, but I can't find it. I have looked carefully, but cannot see any air escaping. She cannot swallow at this point, although she is puttering around in her water. She will remain inside until this injury heals or I decide she needs to be put down.

My question is about the first injury, which is going to be the hardest to deal with in the long run. If she survives, can I use Liquid Bandage/New Skin to keep the largest wound sealed up. She is constantly in the water, so I need to find a dressing that can withstand some harsh treatment. I also am unsure whether I will be able to catch her again once she is released into her flock and starts feeling better, so I want something that I won't have to fuss with much/at all. I have seen this type of dressing used on the feet, but never on such a large wound around the throat. I am unsure if it is appropriate to use in this instance.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Hi CMV, so sorry to hear about your poor duck. Sounds like her biggest problem is her neck/throat injury, the other wounds will most likely heal without problems as long as you keep them clean. The only reason i would be concerned about using liquid bandage on a wound like that is drainage, can it still drain? I don't know so hopefully someone with experience with this will chime in. If she can't breathe that is very worrisome to say the least. Seems she will dhydrate unless she is able to drink liquids. I wish I had something viable to share I just mainly wanted to say sorry this happened. and to lend my support. please keep us posted. [​IMG]

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    If she is having problems breathing and eating I would do the humane thing and put it down. Just my 2 cents

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks Miss Lydia. The wound is really clean with no drainage, and the proposed dressing would probably go on in about a week. I just need to get her through the next couple days and get that crush injury healed first. It will all be a moot point if I can't get her to swallow. Her showing interest in the water is a good sign, but she needs to be able to drink it.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Hopefully the longer she stays with you, the swelling will start going down and things will start healing. If she has come this far lets hope she will continue to keep going in a forward direction. And maybe she is getting some water down if she is showing some interest in it.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I think I may have resolved the breathing issues. I found an air pocket under her skin near the small puncture (injury #2). I drew several c.c.s of air out with a sterile syringe. She is showing an immediate improvement. Her breathing has eased, she is preening, she is sipping small amounts of water, and she is getting feisty about being handled. I am hopeful that she has a damaged air sac and not a tear in her windpipe after finding the pocket. The crackling and whistling noises when she breathed have stopped. I am going to have to keep an eye on that air pocket and drain it as needed, I suspect. It has suddenly gotten much more challenging handling her now that she's feeling better.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:[​IMG] was just coming to look for you for an update. Great news.

8. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    CMV-wow, you are doing a fanastic job. Good luck to you and your duck. She is lucky to have such a wonderful owner. Please keep us update.[​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How is she doing this morning? [​IMG]

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I woke up to a completely trashed cage and a profoundly irritated duck- her water has soaked everything, her food is scattered everywhere, she has pooped all over. I am thrilled! She is obviously feeling much better! She is eating and drinking. She is drinking a lot actually, which is great. She hadn't really pooped much besides water with a few urates, but that is not the case, now. Her stools are still pretty loose, but she is definitely eating. Her wounds all look good and are starting to scab over nicely. I am going to switch over from Neosporin to Blukote tomorrow. The air pocket has returned, but is pretty small and doesn't appear to be impeding her breathing at all. Her breathing is only the tiniest bit labored, but no wheezing/crackles. Her voice is still completely gone. She tries to quack and it sounds like rustling paper. Overall, a very uplifting morning, though.

Barring any unforeseen complications- she's going to make it! I am so happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by