Wound care question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChristineR, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Today I noticed that my felmale Welsh Harlequin has two sores on her back. They are right under the area where her wings attach to her back. What could have caused this? Could my drake have done this with his claws during mating? She is sitting on eggs right now. She wouldn't have pucked feathers off her back for her nest, would she?

What can I put on this so flies don't get in there and lay eggs? I know you have to be careful with birds and insect repellants. I have used SWAT on my horses, but I didn't want to put it on Maggie and make her sick, or worse, kill her.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Probably the drake from mating. Are the sores scabbed over yet or are they open? I haven't ever used fly on my birds spray so i'm no good at answering that question but i think it wouldn't hurt if the sore is open to put some topical antibiotic ointment on it.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    There are some wound sprays like Blue Kote you can pick up at a farm store if you have something local. [​IMG]

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I agree with the blu kote or alu shield. I've used both on my birds just make sure you clean it out good first and maybe put betadine tea.

5. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    I had kinda of the same problem, here is what I did:
    1, I separated her in a large area, with a heat lamp ( its was the middle of a blizzard)
    2, put some neosporing on the wounds ( probably not an approved use, but it worked!)
    3, put gauze pads from a first aid kit over the neosporing, then wrapped semi-tightly with self-sticky vet rap. I re-did the rap, neosporing, and gauze pads once every other day for a week.

Now, I kinda went over board... but she was good as new in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by