Wound healing pictures - progression. GRAPHIC!

Wildsky

Wild Egg!
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
California
My buff girl Maggie was attacked by a dog in May this year, I took pictures of her biggest wound on a regular basis and thought I would share.

I cleaned the wounds with a bandaid rinse (kids!) and put on Neosporin on the first day only.

I'll date the pictures as I have them saved in my photobucket.

May 6th
SANY1109.jpg

SANY1108.jpg

May 8th
SANY1111.jpg

This was a smaller wound a few punctures on her "shoulder" area
SANY1110.jpg

big_smile.png
SANY1119.jpg

May 10th
SANY1118.jpg

SANY1117.jpg

SANY1116.jpg

May 16th
SANY1160.jpg

SANY1159.jpg

May 19th
SANY1163.jpg

SANY1162.jpg

May 25th
SANY1170.jpg

We started to let her out during the day, and she needed a caretaker (in PJ's)
SANY1189.jpg

SANY1180.jpg

She didn't want to give up her living quarters in the house - and spent a week or so coming back to sit on the deck waiting for us to open the door. She'd come in the house like she owned the joint!
SANY1190.jpg

She never came back 100%, her one wing still sits at an odd angle and she's very nervous of the other chickens etc... she'll hang back when treats come out etc. But she's doing well!

big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't think she has laid an egg since then, unless she is hiding them somewhere, nothing. She's 2 years old now.
She laid two eggs when she was still in the house - right after the attack and then no more.

Last edited:
I always like to see happy endings.

It's amazing how quickly they can get used to living in the "big house".

Wildsky, thanks so much for posting the progression pictures. My chicken is in the 5th day of healing from her wounds and it helped so much to see the progression. Adorable "chicken sitter"

The dog in that one pic looks alot like mine. I'm glad your hen is well. I had one that had the skin ripped from one side of her neck to the other almost under her neck. It was horriffic. I cleaned it out and trimmed the feathers so they would stay our of the would. Smeared everything with neosporin and placed the skin back the best I could and wrapped it to hold it there. She did fine. The mistake I made was wrapping it with gauze. It stuck. I got every strand out though. Took days of softening the tissue and pickiing the threads out with tweezers. I used neosporin to soften the threads and they came right out. She sat in my lap like a good little patient until she was tired of me picking. She would let me know and back in the aquarium she would go. She is now a fiesty egg laying little winch. If I raise her feathers up in a spot about the size of a quarter there are no feathers. That is the spot that the skin didn't streach to. But it is covered and the others don't pick on her. She actually will peck at me if I am in the coop trying to catch one. And she lays the largest eggs.

I have a roo right now that i'm trying to figure out how to make a prosthetic for his knee that I think a tendon has messed up on. I want to give him support in that knee but still be able to bend it and put weight on it. He is in the small dog crage right now until I figure it out.

All you people are so great taking care of all your little chickens!
smile.png
They are so cool, aren't they? I'm so glad Maggie is doing well! Awesome doctoring! And it's really sweet she wanted back into the house. Mine (Baby Bad Wings) who was badly injured wanted out as soon as she could get out!

Back
Top Bottom