Wound healing pictures - progression. GRAPHIC!

Wow-glad to see one that could come back from such a horrific wound! Our girl isn't that bad. She is getting restless in the cage now and has eaten and drank water today, so I'm thinking we can probably let her back out soon, and just keep an eye on her. Hopefully she will stay well!

Great job nursing her!! I'm very interested to know what causes some wounds to scab up or not scab up. My rescue hen was attacked by a dog and had 2 big punctures that went into the air sacs, but unlike yours, her wounds developed these big thick scab "plugs" that covered the holes...and they are slowly healing from the inside/bottom. Supposedly, once the bottom is healed, it will push out the big scabs. It's been about 5 weeks now and the plugs are still there. At least she's healing...guess it's just different ways that they heal. I like the way your hen healed better - no having to worry about plugs!

I have a pullet about 4 months old, she has 3 other siblings they are American game breed, They have all been healthy and running free range with other chickens adults and youngsters since hatched by hen, on Monday of this week I noticed she was making noise like she had something caught in her throat, she'd walk around with her mouth open and then make a strange noise, we checked her out throughly no impacted crop and nothing stuck in her throat, she was eating and drinking fine, now this morning she can't walk has one foot drawn up and still has her mouth open like she's having trouble breathing. she's doesn't seem to be in distress about breathing though. Her feathers a very shiny and her eyes are clear, she makes me think of someone who has had a stroke with her foot drawn up, if anyone has experienced this before I would sure appreciate some info. We are thinking we should put her to sleep, it's hard to know if she is suffering.None of my other 22 chickens are having problems. Could it be a birth defect that is just now showing up? Thanks

Quote:
Hmmmm
reading.gif
Maybe Gapeworm? Is she vaccinated for Mareks?

Mareks can cause some paralysis and weird leg positions at this age but not sure of the open mouth thing--it may be possible.

Gapeworms--they get it from eating slugs, earthworms and other icky critters and if caught early enough it is treatable. Your description of weird noise and yawning is correct for it but not sure of the drawn up leg...... Gapeworms can kill her if not treated.

Either way I would give her multi vitamins (children's Poly Vi Sol without iron if you have none for chickens) to help with stress of whatever is going on.

Search for both on this forum for more answers. I hope whatever it is it is treatable.

Back
Top Bottom