Warning, graphic photo - My chicken was attacked, wounded and not sure how this will turn out.

xtaticca

Chirping
Mar 24, 2019
Hello. Earlier today a stray dog jumped our fence and attacked our three chickens.
Two are ok and uninjured but the third is wounded and not sure she’ll make it.

She’s had all her back feathers torn out and has three puncture wounds, one of them quite deep.
She’s not bleeding, I have cleaned the wound and put polysporin around the whole area.

I kept her with me for a few hours but now I have her in a basket with a blanket inside the house in the den with the lights off.

She’s breathing, even stood up to take a poop but aside from that she’s not moving, her eyes are closed and twice wheezed for a cpl mins when breathing but she cleared her pathway with a sneeze and seems to be breathing better now. I took a syringe and gave her a few drops of water which she seemed to take down.

She responds to me when I pet her chin/ head but then kinda shuts down again.

The attack happened while I was out but it was probably around 2 pm today, it’s getting close to 7 now.

I thought the wheezing was maybe a punctured lung but the wound is not that deep but I don’t know.
I’m also wondering is she’s just exhausted and traumatized and in pain accounting for her being the way she is.

I’ll call the vet tomorrow but It’s the holidays so not sure I’ll get any time there.

Anyone with similar experience would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1512.jpeg
    IMG_1512.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 71
Oh my gosh, so sorry!

Hopefully, our resident experts stop in to give advice as I've not dealt with anything this bad.

For starters, I know I'd want to get her on antibiotics if she's got a puncture wound from a dog as infection will probably start in there. If you can at least have your vet do that for you until you can get an appt in case it's a week from now.

Electrolytes would help her as she's most likely in shock. If you don't have any, you can make some easy enough. If you can get her to eat something, scrambled eggs or tuna she'd probably like, or just make mash out of her feed with some water.

I think what you are doing for her is about the best thing for her right now. I hope pulls through!

Clean the wound before infection can set in. If you have saline eye wash on hand, use that. Keep her in a dark area as she may be in shock. Infection is the main concern currently, if nothing internal is punctured then she should be able to heal up quickly. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock are way more knowledgeable about injuries and will hopefully soon be able to help you.

She’s not bleeding, I have cleaned the wound and put polysporin around the whole area.

I kept her with me for a few hours but now I have her in a basket with a blanket inside the house in the den with the lights off.

She’s breathing, even stood up to take a poop but aside from that she’s not moving, her eyes are closed and twice wheezed for a cpl mins when breathing but she cleared her pathway with a sneeze and seems to be breathing better now. I took a syringe and gave her a few drops of water which she seemed to take down.

I thought the wheezing was maybe a punctured lung but the wound is not that deep but I don’t know.
I'm sorry about your hen.

Sounds like you are doing well caring for her wound. You've cleaned it and applied polysporin. Depending on what you used to clean the wounds with, you may want to have some Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone Iodine on hand to swab the wound for a few days if needed. Keep the wounds moist with ointment. If you need to, trim some of the feathers away from the wounds so they stay cleaner and don't stick in the ointment.

Continue to give her sips or drops of fluid - electrolytes or sugar water to help work her through shock.

Chickens can often overcome serious injuries, so hopefully she will pull through. Antibiotics to have on hand would be good if you can get them. Amoxicillin is a good choice. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10days.

The wheezing would be a concern if it continues, but it sounds like that may have cleared up. Do monitor her crop and see that it's emptying. It's good that she's able to stand on her own. Puppy pads are helpful when you have one inside, they make cleanup a little easier.

Lungs are located along the spine as well as the kidneys, hopefully those have not been damaged.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

1703222484134.jpeg

Thank you all for the support and replies.

My initial assessment was incorrect and she does have what I think is a punctured lung. I can now hear air through the hole at the same cadence as the air I can hear her breathing through her mouth.

I missed it initially because it’s under feathers and kinda under the very top of her wing.

I’ve put a sterile pad over the puncture for now. I also made her an electrolyte drink as per Google and she’s taken about 15 ml via dropper over the last couple hours.

She’s still here for now although I am losing hope but I’ll keep trying.

I know it may sound ridiculous, it’s just a chicken but we’ve hand raised them as backyard pets and they mean a lot to us.

I'm sorry about your hen.

Sounds like you are doing well caring for her wound. You've cleaned it and applied polysporin. Depending on what you used to clean the wounds with, you may want to have some Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone Iodine on hand to swab the wound for a few days if needed. Keep the wounds moist with ointment. If you need to, trim some of the feathers away from the wounds so they stay cleaner and don't stick in the ointment.

Continue to give her sips or drops of fluid - electrolytes or sugar water to help work her through shock.

Chickens can often overcome serious injuries, so hopefully she will pull through. Antibiotics to have on hand would be good if you can get them. Amoxicillin is a good choice. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10days.

The wheezing would be a concern if it continues, but it sounds like that may have cleared up. Do monitor her crop and see that it's emptying. It's good that she's able to stand on her own. Puppy pads are helpful when you have one inside, they make cleanup a little easier.

Lungs are located along the spine as well as the kidneys, hopefully those have not been damaged.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

View attachment 3709989
Thanks for the great info. I posted an update. Not looking good. Based on your diagram and what I can hear. It’s likely a punctured lung. It’s like she’s just sleeping but she’s breathing and a strong heart beat. She’ll wake up if I give her water.

Oh my gosh, so sorry!

Hopefully, our resident experts stop in to give advice as I've not dealt with anything this bad.

For starters, I know I'd want to get her on antibiotics if she's got a puncture wound from a dog as infection will probably start in there. If you can at least have your vet do that for you until you can get an appt in case it's a week from now.

Electrolytes would help her as she's most likely in shock. If you don't have any, you can make some easy enough. If you can get her to eat something, scrambled eggs or tuna she'd probably like, or just make mash out of her feed with some water.

I think what you are doing for her is about the best thing for her right now. I hope pulls through!
Thank you 😊

Thank you all for the support and replies.

My initial assessment was incorrect and she does have what I think is a punctured lung. I can now hear air through the hole at the same cadence as the air I can hear her breathing through her mouth.

I missed it initially because it’s under feathers and kinda under the very top of her wing.

I’ve put a sterile pad over the puncture for now. I also made her an electrolyte drink as per Google and she’s taken about 15 ml via dropper over the last couple hours.

She’s still here for now although I am losing hope but I’ll keep trying.

I know it may sound ridiculous, it’s just a chicken but we’ve hand raised them as backyard pets and they mean a lot to us.
How is she doing?

Thanks again for all the support and advice.

I did manage to get her into a vet hospital the next morning and had a wonderful Dr. who specialized in farm animals. She did the best she could and at one point there was reason for optimism, even scheduling for surgery if she stabilized but sadly in the end, Iris didn’t make it.

I grew up on a hobby farm so I understand these things happen, but this one hits hard. We raised them from when they hatched and were a big part of our life. Iris was the leader, had a fierce and commanding personality. She was best friend to our Newfie, loved car rides and snuggles.

The backyard is a very different place now.

Here’s a few photos in better times for anyone interested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mgGxeU8Wpi5KioK59

Take care and thanks again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom