Warning, graphic photo - My chicken was attacked, wounded and not sure how this will turn out.

Thanks again for all the support and advice.

I did manage to get her into a vet hospital the next morning and had a wonderful Dr. who specialized in farm animals. She did the best she could and at one point there was reason for optimism, even scheduling for surgery if she stabilized but sadly in the end, Iris didnā€™t make it.

I grew up on a hobby farm so I understand these things happen, but this one hits hard. We raised them from when they hatched and were a big part of our life. Iris was the leader, had a fierce and commanding personality. She was best friend to our Newfie, loved car rides and snuggles.

The backyard is a very different place now.

Hereā€™s a few photos in better times for anyone interested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mgGxeU8Wpi5KioK59

Take care and thanks again.
Omigosh! Thank you for sharing these happy photos! ā€” I know your entire family is a mess right now and that includes any backyard family members!
Our deepest condolences šŸ’; We hope these photos and her memories comfort you as youā€™re grieving her.

Fly high, Sweet girl ā™„ļøā™„ļøā™„ļø!!!

So sorry for your loss of Iris. šŸ’”

If you have some of her eggs you could hatch them in her memory, even if they're in the fridge. Thank you for sharing pictures. I loved the one of her in your hoody.
Sorry to chime-in right here; please forgive me, Iā€™m just quite curiousā€¦ Eggs are still viable for hatching after refrigeration? And, for how long? (And, only if Iris ā€œdidā€ have a Rooster friend, BTW) šŸ˜‰

Sorry to chime-in right here; please forgive me, Iā€™m just quite curiousā€¦ Eggs are still viable for hatching after refrigeration? And, for how long? (And, only if Iris ā€œdidā€ have a Rooster friend, BTW) šŸ˜‰
They were about two weeks or a tish older. I can't recall exactly, but only know I had been saving to set eggs and didn't want my fresher ones to be over two weeks old. I was shy about 6 eggs from having two dozen (just a few silkie hens were laying). I grabbed 8 from the fridge. I marked them so I'd know. 5 of 8 hatched. That's a crappy hatch rate, but not if you consider they came from the fridge and were at least two weeks old.

They were about two weeks or a tish older. I can't recall exactly, but only know I had been saving to set eggs and didn't want my fresher ones to be over two weeks old. I was shy about 6 eggs from having two dozen (just a few silkie hens were laying). I grabbed 8 from the fridge. I marked them so I'd know. 5 of 8 hatched. That's a crappy hatch rate, but not if you consider they came from the fridge and were at least two weeks old.
Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience ā™„ļøā™„ļø

Thanks again for all the support and advice.

I did manage to get her into a vet hospital the next morning and had a wonderful Dr. who specialized in farm animals. She did the best she could and at one point there was reason for optimism, even scheduling for surgery if she stabilized but sadly in the end, Iris didnā€™t make it.

I grew up on a hobby farm so I understand these things happen, but this one hits hard. We raised them from when they hatched and were a big part of our life. Iris was the leader, had a fierce and commanding personality. She was best friend to our Newfie, loved car rides and snuggles.

The backyard is a very different place now.

Hereā€™s a few photos in better times for anyone interested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mgGxeU8Wpi5KioK59

Take care and thanks again.
She was a beautiful Pet and I am so sorry that you lost her. I pray that someone contacts whoever has that dog and lets them know the damage they have done. She had a beautiful life with you and was Blessed by that. I loved your pictures of her.

Thank you all for the support and replies.

My initial assessment was incorrect and she does have what I think is a punctured lung. I can now hear air through the hole at the same cadence as the air I can hear her breathing through her mouth.

I missed it initially because itā€™s under feathers and kinda under the very top of her wing.

Iā€™ve put a sterile pad over the puncture for now. I also made her an electrolyte drink as per Google and sheā€™s taken about 15 ml via dropper over the last couple hours.

Sheā€™s still here for now although I am losing hope but Iā€™ll keep trying.

I know it may sound ridiculous, itā€™s just a chicken but weā€™ve hand raised them as backyard pets and they mean a lot to us.
It doesn't sound rediculous. If you and others hand raised them and you care about them, it's not ridiclous. My chickens mean more to me than my foster parents lol. I still can't get over a baby chick that was attacked, Loaf.

Thank you all for the support and replies.

My initial assessment was incorrect and she does have what I think is a punctured lung. I can now hear air through the hole at the same cadence as the air I can hear her breathing through her mouth.

I missed it initially because itā€™s under feathers and kinda under the very top of her wing.

Iā€™ve put a sterile pad over the puncture for now. I also made her an electrolyte drink as per Google and sheā€™s taken about 15 ml via dropper over the last couple hours.

Sheā€™s still here for now although I am losing hope but Iā€™ll keep trying.

I know it may sound ridiculous, itā€™s just a chicken but weā€™ve hand raised them as backyard pets and they mean a lot to us.
xtaticca Its not at all ridiculous. We have had chickens since covid and some were pets and some were egg layers but 2 years ago we got a serama chicken, it was awesome, fun, my daughter raised it from a young age along with his 3 siblings'. One day about a month after we got them all three of the siblings all died at the same time but "plum" lived and become a house pet with outside time during the day with the other regular hens. He is a roo so we cannot keep him outside overnight but that's ok because serama are not the best cold tolerate birds. This bird would snuggle, go on hikes with us in a special backpack, he would keep our shepherd in check, and was just a joy. This weekend we went out and put him in the coop with his lady friends and when we got back my daughter "his mom" found him dead.

He has always had a few health issues now that we thought about it, he would shake all the time, we was tired alot, his comb was turning black and drooping and all three of his siblings all died suddenly before, so I ruled everything else out besides a heart or liver defect and maybe he was just a sick one who deserved the best life we could give him. We had a funeral for him complete with a "shoe box coffin" flowers, eulogy ect... It may sound silly but when a creature brings you so much joy, laughter and makes the days brighter then its worth it. I still wonder since he was only 3 years old did we do something wrong, could we have done more or was it his time.

We purposely burred him next to a hydranda that will bloom every year and once my daugher gets older and if she moves out she can take that hydrania or a piece of it with her and know that her birds spirit will be in it.

You know I lost my father last year and we were estranged and the loss of this bird has made me more sad, mostly because of the joy he brought to my kids. So no its not silly at all...

here is a pic of his coffin ( a shoe box) right before we burried him.

funeral day plum died.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom