Injured Chicken Neck

Mellio15

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2023
Please help me! Saturday night I went to check on my chickens before bed and noticed a fluff of feathers outside the fencing. Something tried to get my chickens through the fence. Luckily, was unable to get in but swiped a good chunk out of the chest of one of my girls. I brought her in Saturday night and cleaned the wound with water and applied neosporin.

Sunday I was able to get my hands on some vetericyn poultry wound spray. Cleaned her 3x a day with that spray and applied more neosporin before bed. I didn’t try to look TOO closely at the wound. I knew it was bad but she seemed to be going into shock so I was trying to keep my interactions as brief as possible.

Monday, she seemed perkier. Was walking around and even hopped onto a perch I put in her quarantine for her. She was actually drinking a lottt which had me hopeful. However, inspecting her wounds more seem much worse than I thought. I’m told chickens can recover from terrible injuries but is this in that basket?? She’s my favorite chicken so I’m so so sad to watch her like this.

Her water has electrolytes and aspirin in it. She is drinking a lotttttt but I think she’s having issues swallowing sometimes. Will drink a lot and then after a couple mins, some will come back up. I have food avaliable for her but I’m not sure if she’s eaten any. I do have baby bird food ready to mix up and feed via syringe if needed. How long should I wait before this is needed? I have a heat lamp in the room with her at night to keep her warm but pretty far away so she doesn’t get too hot. Should I not be doing this?

Is there anything I can be doing differently? Can she even recover from something this bad? I have pictures if needed but they are a bit graphic.

Last edited:
Yes, pls post pictures.
They often can recover fully from injuries that you’d never expect they might be able to recover from- but I’m worried about your mention of “trouble swallowing”
.....if you happen to have a video of that, and can upload to youtube/ rumble/ etc and post a link, that would also be super helpful!

Yes, pls post pictures.
They often can recover fully from injuries that you’d never expect they might be able to recover from- but I’m worried about your mention of “trouble swallowing”
.....if you happen to have a video of that, and can upload to youtube/ rumble/ etc and post a link, that would also be super helpful!
IMG_4922.jpeg

Here is the best picture I have so far. I try not to poke and prod. Not 100% sure what I’m looking at and have tried comparing pics to chicken dissections online 🥴. Wondering if she is having a crop or esophagus problem?? I will try and get a video of the “swallowing problem”. She will sit and drink for a while like normal and appears to swallow fine but then water will come back out of her mouth after a while. Or she will take a step back and shake her head and a bunch of water will come out. Typically goes right back to drinking afterwards when either of these things happen.

I have yet to see her physically eat since Saturday but today (Tuesday) I did notice some crumbs on the ground next to her feeder. Possibly tried eating or maybe just stepped in it. I was going to try and give her some eggs today but worried about her eating if she’s having problems keeping water down sometimes.

I’m having a hard time telling just where this injury is....
is your finger (in the first photo) on her crop, or, at the base of her breastbone?
.....because it ....
(I know you love her and I’m not trying to be anything other than honest and realistic...)
Looks like the bottom of her breast and she was nearly disemboweled?

I’m going to go ahead and wait for an answer before I continue w my thoughts

I’m having a hard time telling just where this injury is....
is your finger (in the first photo) on her crop, or, at the base of her breastbone?
.....because it ....
(I know you love her and I’m not trying to be anything other than honest and realistic...)
Looks like the bottom of her breast and she was nearly disemboweled?

I’m going to go ahead and wait for an answer before I continue w my thoughts
Yes, my finger is near her crop. Attaching another pic of her standing for better reference. I know it’s bad so I’m expecting the worst but wanted to ask for advice if there was anything I could do before reaching the worst conclusion. She’s so tiny so it’s hard to get good pics. She’s only a couple months old and is a Mille de fleur so naturally just a petite gal.

Attachments

• IMG_4910.jpeg
    IMG_4910.jpeg
    557.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Ohhhh
Poor baby 💔
I don’t want to have to say this.
And.
Perhaps you can wait for another opinion from @Jenbirdee @Eggcessive @Miss Lydia @azygous @Wyorp Rock .... or anyone else that they tag in

Her abdominal wall has been compromised.
And it also appears (my opinion, and I’m not a vet but I’ve both cared for and processed many critters...)
That an infection is setting in, based on the greenish discoloration that is setting in around the edges of the gash.

I would really like someone else to weigh in, because she seems to be improving a bit....
but.
All of the feather babies I’ve lost rally before they crash....
:hit:hit
I. Personally. Would put her down, rather than wait for what is coming.

And I sure hope someone disagrees with me 💔

Ohhhh
Poor baby 💔
I don’t want to have to say this.
And.
Perhaps you can wait for another opinion from @Jenbirdee @Eggcessive @Miss Lydia @azygous @Wyorp Rock .... or anyone else that they tag in

Her abdominal wall has been compromised.
And it also appears (my opinion, and I’m not a vet but I’ve both cared for and processed many critters...)
That an infection is setting in, based on the greenish discoloration that is setting in around the edges of the gash.

I would really like someone else to weigh in, because she seems to be improving a bit....
but.
All of the feather babies I’ve lost rally before they crash....
:hit:hit
I. Personally. Would put her down, rather than wait for what is coming.

And I sure hope someone disagrees with me 💔
Thank you for your honesty. I’ve been preparing myself for that answer but I’ve been really trying to give her a good shot first. I don’t want her to suffer if the unavoidable is coming. And I’m not sure if I’m mentally capable of carrying out that task myself. 😭

Thank you for your honesty. I’ve been preparing myself for that answer but I’ve been really trying to give her a good shot first. I don’t want her to suffer if the unavoidable is coming. And I’m not sure if I’m mentally capable of carrying out that task myself. 😭
I’ve seen major injuries even into muscle that they can recover from, but I don’t like the green and I don’t like the fact that her abdominal wall has been completely compromised :/

Knowing that you are saving her from dying of an infection.... might help?

Otherwise, do you have a friend that would help, or, maybe reach out to a local small animal vet (even if not an avain vet if you don’t have access to one), and explain the situation and see if someone might help you in this case?

Also.
What is your coop/ run like?
I don’t mean to take you down a different bad rabbit hole.... but I find predators don’t tend to give up easy and often come back.
Is your coop secure?
Do you put them in at night?
If not, can you maybe add some 1/2” hardware cloth around the lower part of the run area so a predator (I’m guessing raccoon here) can’t reach through and injure anyone else?

I am so very sorry about this little hen. It does look very serious so honestly, I would rather @Wyorp Rock or @azygous or @Eggcessive guide you on what to do. I would clip the feathers away from the wound though it makes it a lot easier to treat and if she does start to rebound you don't want those feathers to get stuck when the wound starts to close.
I've seen some really awful wounds on birds here on BYC that miraculously healed up fine. I hope that will be the case for your little one.
If it comes to the place where you think she is suffering we have info on how to humanely put them down. I have had to use this method a few times on a few of my hens.
I know how hard it can be.

I am going to go ahead and give you this info. Not that expect you to use it but at least you'll have it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...re-culling-the-injured-and-sick-babies.72140/

Back
Top Bottom