Injured chicken

sophieqiao05

Hatching
Apr 4, 2024
It seems that her intestine was ripped out by the other chickens and her butthole is exposed. There’s pus, blood and poop dripping out. How should I clean the wound and care for it? I’m very concerned and can’t understand how this happened. Please help!
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 6
If that is indeed intestine, then there is nothing you can do, she will slowly die from infection. The damage is internal and short of major surgery, which might not work either or she might not survive, there isn't anything that can be done. It would be kindest to euthanize (cull) her, rather than let her slowly suffer. I'm so sorry.
It's possible that she prolapsed while trying to lay an egg, and then this happened. Anytime there is red tissue or blood showing, it will attract pecking, and cannibalization from others, even with a small prolapse.
If you have never euthanized before, and do not have a vet that can do it for you, or cannot handle the cost, the following link is how I do it. Sadly, it's a necessary part of keeping chickens, and one that we all have to deal with at times. It is never easy, but it is sometimes the absolute kindest thing you can do for them.
https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2017/06/the-easiest-way-to-cull-chicken.html

No! That is terrible. This is the first time this has happened over the last 10 years I had hens. Thank you for the responses, but I’m not sure how to euthanize my hen.

See the link I posted at the end of my answer above. It's a very detailed explanation. Cervical dislocation is the most humane way to do it at home. It may seem difficult to consider, but it's very mistake proof and instant if done as the article suggests, with no suffering. I had to euthanize a hen this morning, sadly, and that's how I do it.

If you have someone nearby that also keeps chickens, they may be able to help. I've done it for a neighbor on occasion. The way I do it, you can do it and then walk away and breathe, calm yourself, and then come back and take care of the body. Honestly, the anticipation of it is worse than the doing of it. I never like doing it, but I know it's far better for them than letting them suffer needlessly, when there is no hope. I know that I'm saving them from needless pain and suffering, they have peace.
I'm so sorry you are faced with the loss. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom