Dog tried to get our new Turkey :(

Mar 31, 2024
I’m new to Turkey ownership and unfortunately a dog stuck its head into the fence line and grabbed a mouthful of feathers and beard on our Tom. We were able to fight the dog off but he ended up ripping out the feathers and beard which caused the Tom to bleed pretty good (dripping blood from the chest) I’d be lying if I said I could tell if a would was actually bad or not, but I see blood and I get concerned, especially since the poor things beard was ripped right off! I feel terrible because I knew I needed to change out the fencing (Brand new house, we’re moving in as I type!) but it just hasn’t been a priority.
Anyway I’m hoping for some insight on what to be looking for, if I should do anything or get anything for it. Is his beard being ripped off something to be super concerned over?

Thanks in advanced!

Do you have any pictures of his injuries? I am more familiar with chickens, but some Turkey people may chime in. You also can post on the Turkey Forum as well. Saline or Vetericyn are good to spray or dab on wounds. Deeper wounds can be coated with Neosporin (plain) twice a day. The dog will come back, so he needs to be kept securely. Is he eating or drinking yet? Most wounds will clot, or you can use a little flour or blood stop/stypticon them.

Do you have any pictures of his injuries? I am more familiar with chickens, but some Turkey people may chime in. You also can post on the Turkey Forum as well. Saline or Vetericyn are good to spray or dab on wounds. Deeper wounds can be coated with Neosporin (plain) twice a day. The dog will come back, so he needs to be kept securely. Is he eating or drinking yet? Most wounds will clot, or you can use a little flour or blood stop/stypticon them.
I know these aren’t the best, but this is what I could get since he still is getting to know us. It has stopped bleeding.
We just got back from church and are redoing the fence now, we’re using hardware cloth so it should be dog proof after we’re finished.
The dog literally ripped his beard and a few feathers off, he wasn’t able to get more then the beard so if anything else tore it was just from the shear forth of him holding the beard
f6ac899d-3107-4f8b-81f6-4187d0100c1b-jpeg.3787696

Attachments

• F6AC899D-3107-4F8B-81F6-4187D0100C1B.jpeg
    F6AC899D-3107-4F8B-81F6-4187D0100C1B.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom