Wound on my rooster

Hilltowngirl413

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
As im walking outside I see a fox grab hold of my Rooster Bantam who we call Autumn. All my chickens are my babies rooster or hen so anyways I scream at the fox and it dropped Autumn and ran off. From what I see the fox ripped out some feathers on autumns back and theres not much blood but there is some. I dont know if he punctured his back or just had the feathers ripped out. I now have him inside in a big dog cage with a blanket on top. He seems okay and is eating and making little rooster sounds. Should I bring him to a vet or is there anything I can do to help. Maybe give him Advil? or CLean it with Hyrdogen Peroxide. I dont want to hurt him more but I really dont want him to get sick. I'll be standing guard all day for the fox.
Thanks
Emma

It would be very good to clean the wounds with diluted peroxide then apply Neosporin ointment, or something similar. Just be sure you don't use a product that has a "caine" drug in it for pain, such as cetacaine, benzocaine, etc. Don't use Advil, but you can use aspirin. This is copied from a thread stickied in ths Emergencies forum:

website. Warning: aspirin thins the blood and should not be used if internal bleeding is suspected or in cases where a wound will not stop bleeding.

It's a very good sign that he is eating, especially this soon after the incident. Sometimes they will go into a sort of shock state for half a day or a day, then begin to eat, etc. Good luck to both of you!

Thanks. I found the bite mark and I am applying Iodine to it I also have chicken vitamins that I am putting in his water. Hope he gets better.

Iodine might mask any inflammation as it's a similar color......an antibiotic ointment is your best bet.
Chicken are pretty resilient, recovering for even losing large patches of skin as long as you can keep any infection at bay.

Back
Top Bottom