Wound the may develope into bumblefoot

Bluepheonix13255

Chirping
Oct 4, 2021
Knoxville, Tennessee
So I have a hen that has been limping now for the second day. I have applied that blue antiseptic- I can get the name, but it's not with me right now- and just now poured peroxide to it, but can't find the wound.
She doesn't flinch no matter where I prod, and I couldn't find it from peroxide bubbling.
I don't really know what to do aside from continuing what I have, but I can't help but worry
She doesn't feel warm like she's fighting infection, have any visible abscesses, or any wound I've found. Her limp is almost hopping, but she does put the foot down to steady herself when still.
Assuming she gets worse and/or I can find infection, when treating it with over-the-counter 3% peroxide should I water it down or use it straight?
My grandmother suggested she may have gotten her foot hung up and it's just sore, but honestly I've screwed up everytime I've had to treat a chicken, so I'ld rather run this by everyone here while it's still in the "may be an issue" fase.
Thanks!

Can you post some photos of her or a video of her actions? For video upload to youtube and provide a link.

If she has no visible wounds, then applying an antiseptic is necessary.
If you do find a wound, then you can clean it one time with Peroxide, then apply your Blu Kote if that's what you have or if you have triple antibiotic ointment you can use that too.

Back
Top Bottom