wounded golden comet from dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cpntherfan, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Cpntherfan

Cpntherfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Lancaster S.C
    we had a chicken attacked by a dog. she is doing ok as far as eating and drinking but every once and awhile she makes an awful gurgling noise. is that a normal noise? or is she drowning on her water or something. thanks for any help. also is there something i should put on her wounds she had a few punture wounds.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If you have never heard her making the gurgling noise prior to the attack then chances are good that it is not a normal sound. You can apply Neosporin or Blukote to the punctures after cleaning them out really well.

I hope she continues to mend. Good luck.

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Depending on where she was wounded she might have a puncture to her lung or water in them. Keep her quiet and in a small enclosure that you can put a heating pad underneath half of it. Set the pad on medium and put towels over three sides and the top of the cage to keep her warm and no drafts. If she is eating and drinking she will heal as she will! I have had some with puncture wounds that were open to the body cavity that have healed on their own with this treatment.
    Clean the wounds as best you can and apply a triple antibiotic to the area. Then let her rest in quiet and warm! Good luck! Terri O

4. Cpntherfan

Cpntherfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Lancaster S.C
    Thanks alot I just didnt want infections. The bites was on her tail section. Ill will clean up the wounds and try the bluke

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by