wounded turkey doesnt want to eat

bigbird

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Any ideas of what to deed my wounded turkey? She is losing weight and doesn't want to eat. She has even turned down meal worms and they are her favorite. Thanks

Is the wound infected? Have you been disinfecting it and giving antibiotics? What kind of would is it and how severe?

The wound is very deep. She came down on a branch we were using for a perch for her. She is on antibiotics, and tonight somebody feathers and skin was cut away, packed with antibiotic ointment and stitched. We put a child's small t shirt on get and she is hating life. She was also given some fluids. I know that she has lost weight, but she just doesn't want to eat. I boiled an egg for her today, and crunched up some meal worms, and ultra kibble, but no go. She didn't even want Romaine. I'd just like to know if there is anything they can't refuse. I'm really worried about her.

How long ago was she injured? I don't have any experience with turkeys but I know that when my chickens sustain a severe wound they sometimes lose their appetite for a while and become quite thin, even if the wound is not infected. Sounds like you're doing all the right things, you can only keep offering food and hope she perks up and regains her appetite.

I know. I've read so many things about this, and basic wound care, my head is spinning. My biggest concern about the wound right now is wether or not to leave the t shirt on. So many different opinions. When it wasn't covered, she was constantly pecking at it. In nature, that's probably their way of keeping it clean. Some say to give penicillin , and others say never. I just wish there were more definitive answers. Way too confusing! Lol. She is a rescue, and was by herself. After reading all about blackhead, I still put one of my hens in wirh her last night. She hates being alone, and I figured if she saw something going after her food, she would be more inclined to eat. Again, some will say they have chickens with their turkeys also wirh no problems.

When you stitched you left enough space between them for drainage, yes? Change out dressing over stitches daily and keep your nose focused, any bad smell and the wound should probably be flushed with a 10:1 sterile water/Betadine solution and redressed). If no organs were punctured and infection can be held in check these guys are pretty tough.

Here is some VERY specific instructions on tube feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post

Best of luck!

Thank you. It is healing and nothing major was punctured. What are the best antibiotics to use and for how long? She is pecking at it now, and I'm wondering if this is a normal healing process. If not, how do I keep her off of it? Thanks

When you stitched you left enough space between them for drainage, yes? Change out dressing over stitches daily and keep your nose focused, any bad smell and the wound should probably be flushed with a 10:1 sterile water/Betadine solution and redressed). If no organs were punctured and infection can be held in check these guys are pretty tough.

Here is some VERY specific instructions on tube feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post

Best of luck!

Ivan, I want to personally Thank You :bow for always being around to help others when some of us "experienced turkey owners" are not always around to help. I am not always on as I use to be and I hate that. I always try to come to the turkey thread first before going anywhere else, because I know that we always have newbies and always have question. I know that having and dealing with turkeys is a little more trickier and sometimes more involved than chickens. I am always so happy when I see someone has posted a question and you are there to answer their question with great info. I just wanted to let you know that we all appreciate you and the help you give to ALL of us. I really enjoy reading your posts. I also learn a lot from the information that you post.

I just wanted you to know that you are a great asset to BYC and the turkey thread. Keep up the great job and you are appreciated. Thank you for everything that you do.

:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom