wow a lot of eggs

I gathered twenty eggs yesterday and i only have fifteen hens and i gather every day .Explain that please.

Quote:
Egg Fairies
wink.png
gig.gif

Maybe some egg fairies or something needs to come bless me with some eggs. I've got 6 grown hens freeloading, 3 pullets that one just started laying little miniature eggs with a yolk. Out of all of them...day before yesterday, got 2 miniature eggs & 1 regular size egg, which is more than I can say for WEEKS now. None yesterday & today 1 miniature egg & 1 regular egg.

Hubby is already threatening them because of the time & money he's spending on building them a new coop along with the food costs. Who knows, maybe they're holding out waiting for the new coop.
idunno.gif

But Congrats on all your eggs!!
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Yes it is possible for hens to lay 2 eggs a day. I have had 2 New Hampshire hens that were notorious for laying 2 eggs each. They were in a cage all by themselves this past spring, layed 2 eggs one day, 4 the next, and did this repeatedly. I had to sell them because they didn't get along with the rest of the layers. They were from an order I got from McMurray Hatchery.

I thought I had my situation all figured out!!! Then I read this thread about multiple eggs a day........
hmm.png

I've had 2 new pullets with only 1 laying for a few weeks. I got 2 eggs today. One speckled and one not (the not speckled one looks exactly like the eggs I've been getting for the last 2 weeks). So, with the 2 very different looking eggs, both my hens are laying now right?? Or is it possible to have a hen lay a speckled egg and a not speckled egg in the same day????

Yay Chicks! :

Well, I would like some of those egg fairies and/or magic chickens at my house! Mine are all molting. I'm going to have to BUY eggs
sad.png

For those of us that are used to getting our eggs from our flock, being forced to go to the store when our girls are on hiatus equals the walk of shame!!! It's awful!​

Quote:
A chicken can have varying colors in her laying cycle...like with Ameraucanas, they usually start off darker and lighten up. My Marans do the same dark to light over a period of several days...nice and dark and then lighten and at the end of their cycle the eggs have fat splotches like they farted in the paint booth. I would think it unlikely to have different looking eggs from the same girl on the same day, so congratulations! You could make certain by doing a few things... 1.) putting a few drops of food coloring just on the outside of the vent of one of your pullets (she will draw it into her body and lay stained colored eggs for a few days after) , 2.) look closely at the vents of your girls...they should be very moist when in the midst of laying and 3.) a bright red comb is usually indicitive of a hen ready to lay. I would put my money on both of your pullets are laying.
big_smile.png

Quote:
woot.gif
Congrats on getting two eggs! I have 3 different I guess you'd call shadings with my eggs right now. I'm thinking it's because of the different breeds I have. Since this is my first year with chickens, I think I'll just keep an eye on things and see how it goes.

Quote:
You have two hens a layin'. Congratulations. In my very limited experience, each girl has her own shape, colour and pattern to her eggs. There may be slight variation, but not a lot. I can tell, with a few exceptions, which of my ten hens laid which egg, especially if I have them side by side with others. A hen won't (I don't THINK) lay two eggs that are markedly differentin appearance.

Back
Top Bottom