Wow chickens love wheatgrass

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WildBillHicks, Sep 21, 2011.

1. WildBillHicks

WildBillHicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    I use a scratch feed that is part wheat and part corn. I threw some in a field next to my run and after a few weeks it came up. I clipped off the tender new grass and gave it to my hens and they literally went insane for it. I had three of them sitting on my knees eating it out of my hands. Most of you probably know this already but it was a big shock to me. I think I'm going to figure out a way to have a permanent way of doing this but what I need to know is this wheatgrass good for them?

Thanks

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, I'm free-ranging my flock. They follow us around every time we mow our wheat-straw lzwns.[​IMG] There are times we must stop and wait for them to move out of our path:rant Sure don't want things flying out of the chute hurting them![​IMG] I truly don't know if wheat grass is the best for chickens, but mine love the new shoots after mowing.[​IMG]

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Chickens enjoy most any grass/legume. They especially like alfalfa and clover which are both higher in plant protein.

They also enjoy greens of all types: Rape, Kale, Turnip, etc.

If you are going to take the time to plant something for them I'd suggest planting something better than wheat.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Get a long flower box 1' X 4' and staple a chicken wire screen over it from the chicks to protect the soil and the root of the grass and let them eat it after it grows past the screen. Loop the screen 2 to 3" higher than the soil. and water it and they will cut it by eating it up to the screen or whatever they get their beaks on under the screen

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  5. WildBillHicks

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    Quote:I planted some turnips and they are coming in real nicely. Should I feed the girls the greens only? I like the greens myself! Hadn't planned on sharing. [​IMG]

I plant clover on my deer plot for hunting. Good idea. Yeah I'll plant some clover in the field next to the coop.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. WildBillHicks

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    Quote:Good idea. thanks

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Wheat grass is good for them. It's good for people, too, although it's usually juiced for us. They like different types of grasses and any of the dark leafy greens you can plant for your garden. Dark leafy greens are also good for you. They also like sprouts.

I've planted a variety of different things, including clover and alfalfa for added protein. I've also planted wheat, oats, chard, kale, spinach, beets, turnips and leaf lettuce. Some people also plant collards and even mustard for them.

In the winter I grow wheat grass and sprout various things for them. I had noticed they really missed the green feed during the winter and acted starved for it in the spring. During the growing season, they go forage on their own.

8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:I planted some turnips and they are coming in real nicely. Should I feed the girls the greens only? I like the greens myself! Hadn't planned on sharing. [​IMG]

I plant clover on my deer plot for hunting. Good idea. Yeah I'll plant some clover in the field next to the coop.

I guess they'd eat turnips too. I don't....yuck! I eat the greens and share with the birds. We try to have a couple of acres planted in various greens.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    There was one person on the forum that planted beets for the chickens. After the chickens ate the tops, they started pecking at the roots, still in the ground. They scratched into the ground to expose them, too. Eventually, they ate most of the beets, hollowing them out. Chickens are pretty good at foraging, with some practice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by