Wow, my mama coturnix quail not wanting to brood again??

crimsonmama

Chirping
Jan 2, 2017
So I got my pair of quails last year and within a month or so my mama quail started laying her eggs all in one place in the box of hay I put in for a bed and I wanted to see if she went broody so left the eggs and she did sit them and hatched her chicks out.
After a week and a half she started pecking at them and calling for her mate so went back to him and I've been raising the chicks myself. Well... They are pretty self sufficient. Just provided a heat blanket for a extra week. They are indoors anyways.

ANYhoo... Mama started laying again about a week ago just on newspaper. Seems sad seeing that little egg just rolling around! So I put a new box of hay in yesterday and mama enjoyed sitting in it resting.

BUT this morning her little egg was loose on the newspaper! I was sure she would lay them in the box of hay. Not necessarily for brooding but just for comfort.

I don't want anymore chicks at the moment so I wouldn't want her to brood again anyways but is this a CLEAR indication that she's not wanting more chicks!

Did I just get extremely lucky that she brooded for me first time?? Or once they go broody once is it more likely they will again?

Just curious!

Oh and another observation... She's gone more tame! Don't know if it's because when she was brooding her eggs she had to trust me feeding and giving water and sand? If it's just time as we've had her four or five months now? After she had her chicks her love of meal worms and treats increased tenfold so now she will sit on me eating treats and let me and the kids pet her when before she always ran away. Daddy is still much more skittish (didn't have the same level of care and trust during nesting as mama kicked him out so he lived in his aviary alone for a month). He will take treats from your hand if you can get him calm enough to sit in one spot long enough!

The kids reckon they have seen/communicated with out incubated tame chicks and seen through them that we are not a threat! Lol

I think it's just random that she's laying on the newspaper. She might start laying in the box again. And I do think they are more likely to go broody again once they've been broody once.
I think she's gone more tame because she knew her chicks needed the bugs so she had to do what it took to get them when she had chicks, and then she realized it actually wasn't dangerous to go near you :)

I think it's just random that she's laying on the newspaper. She might start laying in the box again. And I do think they are more likely to go broody again once they've been broody once.
I think she's gone more tame because she knew her chicks needed the bugs so she had to do what it took to get them when she had chicks, and then she realized it actually wasn't dangerous to go near you :)

Yay! Well it's nice to think she might trust us now! :)

Back
Top Bottom