Wow. This wasn't expected!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stephanie739, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Mama hen moved the babies to a new location, but she had to get them over the 2 ft tall fence! How did she do this?

I have a rabbit cage surrounded by a pet enclosure inside the big coop. I just put them in this setup today. The chicks hatched yesterday or the day before. Tonight, I went in the coop to lock them in the rabbit cage for the evening, and they were gone! She had taken them to another nesting area (a large plastic trash can that I works well as a nest box) though still inside the coop.

I know cats move their babies, but chickens too? She had to have carried them over the fence somehow. There was no way for the little ones to get out.

Has this happened to anyone else before? How did she do it? I counted all ten, and let them stay where she put them. At least they are on the ground (the reason I moved them in the first place)

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You'd be amazed at how well baby chickens can jump.. AND I've also seen mamas "tuck" chicks under their wings to move them. Believe it or not!

3. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I kind of thought she had tucked them under her wings too...I know she has carried an egg around that way before :) Very cool...thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by