Wow - was she had!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jacyjones, Aug 8, 2009.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Songster

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    A friend went to an auction to buy 6 chicks and was successful bidding for 1 lot. Unknown to her if you buy one lot you can also buy 2 more the same. When the auctioneer asked if she wanted all of them she said yes, thinking he was talking about the 6!! So she came home with 18 chicks....not 6.

They have all grown up now and .....yes....you guessed it.........she has 15 roos and 3 pullets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess it pays to find out the system before you bid, eh?

2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    OOPS!!! [​IMG] So, what's she doing with all the roo's??

3. Chris623

Chris623 Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Central Oklahoma woods
    I smell chicken cookin'. [​IMG]

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    That's the downside of buying straight run chicks. You are GOING to get up with more roosters than hens. I can almost guarantee it. [​IMG]

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    LOL that happened to me once..all roos! 12 of them!

On a sweeter note though, my DS bought 12 chicks at TSC red bin straight run and got 11 pullets and one roo. [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    A coworker of mine did a similar thing and bought what he thought were 8 pullets and all turned out to be Roos.

7. Kelso

Kelso Songster

Aug 6, 2009
    I too smell chicken cooking. Next time I'm in Wales, I'll be looking for an invite to feast on chicken. I'm only funning with ya. If you don't mind me asking, what breed are the chicks.

8. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Songster

May 22, 2009
    Bar B Q!! [​IMG]

I feel sorry for the poor Roos sometimes. They are SO unloved

9. jacyjones

jacyjones Songster

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Yes - chicken cooking soon - I'm sure we'll all be invited!! I don't know what breed they are - she already has 2 Wyandotte pullets and an Americauna I think so maybe she was after more of the same!

I have a spare roo here and we were going to ask if she wanted him - not now tho!! Luckily he is going to live in the forest with the young pheasants on the local shoot! Not to be shot but to join 300 birds and a turkey that has been there 5 years!

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wouldn't say your friend was had. I used to work once in a while for a neighbor who was an auctioneer....plus I've always went to a lot of auctions. People need to be aware of how auctions work BEFORE they bid....not after. And with straight run chicks there's always the chance you'll get more roos no matter where you buy them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: