WOW! Who said golden phoenix are not good layers

WA23

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Northwest WA State
I am truly amazed.
ep.gif
I have read and been led to believe that golden phoenix will only lay maybe 1 or two eggs per week. Well, to my surprise, one of my golden phoenix has laid 10 eggs in the last 11 days.
thumbsup.gif

To top it off she was only born on July 1 (not even 5 months old). No, I am not getting her mixed up with another bird. Yes, it is her that is laying.
Granted, they are only small eggs (she is up to 34g now), but so what. That is more than I expected from her.
wee.gif
wee.gif

wow
cool birds and i never thought they laid that many !

how many of their eggs equal a chicken egg?

You have to post some pics if you can.

Here ya go. I think you were asking for egg picture. This is compared to a large white egg.

Are you going to make me go out into the freezing Washington morning to get a pic of the bird?

14565_100_3923.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, my two stay in a non insulated coop. This is my first winter with them, and the coldest it has gotten so far is 30 deg.

I have always read they are NOT "cold hardy", but they seem to be doing just fine slightly below freezing. And one is even laying eggs.

Just an update as an FYI for anyone interested. This is day 16 of laying for a total of 15 eggs. No break for her in the last 10 days. Is this unusual?

I am jealous!

I have 2 Silver Phoenix, born May 18th and they still aren't laying! But then neither are the RIR, Polish and EEs born the same day!

Congrats on your great egg layer!

Last edited:
I have a sweet little silver phoenix who was my first chicken. She started laying about a month after her "sister" who was the same age but was a silver-laced wyandotte. She's been laying since the middle of September and the eggs are still pullet eggs, about 2/3 or less the size of a full-size egg from my red sexlink.

She used to just drop her eggs wherever she happened to be standing at the time after the older hens in the coop pecked her all up after she had the audacity to use "their" special nest. (There are four identical nests, but for some reason, they all only use the one closest to the door of the coop. Go figure?!
hu.gif
)

I can't say for sure whether she lays every day because I also have a Sicilian buttercup, silkie and naked neck crosses, and a Sebright, so it's possible it's any combination of all the above leaving me at least one little white egg a day. They're super cute though, whomever laid them.
love.gif
;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom