Wrap/cover chicken injury or leave in the open?

Danny188

Songster
Jul 22, 2019
Iowa
My chickens were attacked by a dog and one of the injured hens has a big wound. The other injured hens are picking at it and so it she( she isn't pecking it and making it bleed more like cleaning off the dead skin/meat. Should I just separate her or wrap it up, it's in a place that's hard to wrap but I can.

Pics, these are 2 days old it's all cleaned up now.

Attachments

• 20200610_173111.jpg
    20200610_173111.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200610_175414.jpg
    20200610_175414.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 7
My chickens were attacked by a dog and one of the injured hens has a big wound. The other injured hens are picking at it and so it she( she isn't pecking it and making it bleed more like cleaning off the dead skin/meat. Should I just separate her or wrap it up, it's in a place that's hard to wrap but I can.
Keep her separate. Use some antibiotic ointment. Keep her warm, electrolytes and vitamins in the water. High protein diet for healing. If you can keep her indoors, it will help keep her safe from flystrike

Keep her separate. Use some antibiotic ointment. Keep her warm, electrolytes and vitamins in the water. High protein diet for healing. If you can keep her indoors, it will help keep her safe from flystrike
Haha I'm doing all that right now I just separated her from the one that was pecking her but left her with the one she likes that she sits next to she couldn't hardly walk with her wound rapped. The one that was pecking her only has a partially torn vent that is almost healed so she is full energy while the other two are slower and tired and sitting under the heat lamp trying to heal up.

UPDATE: Woohoo! 2 weeks after the dog attack, just got back from the fishing trip and I have some good news, all are still alive, and wait for it......... THE PARALIZED HEN CAN WALK, he balance is off or she just doesn't have the control to hold herself up well so she falls forward alot but I'm shure it will get better! Realy I could probably put the two brown ones with the flock but I'm going to wait a little longer for the one to grow its feathers back and the others vent to seal up or go back to normal. It had a scab over its vent that I pealed off and it was pretty healed and dident bleed but the top of its vent lip is still separated/ not filled in. The one with the big gash in its side is starting to scab up so I will probably stop cleaing it and just use neosporin. I will do one more update whenever I put them all back into the coop. I posted like 4 threads on this and I'm just going to copy and paste to each of them so if you follow more than one you don't need to read the other ones.

Back
Top Bottom