Wrinkled Egg

Cwittofur

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Southern NH
Checked on my girls this evening for eggs and saw two. Picked them up and immediately I noticed a difference. This egg felt wrinkled, it was spotty (none of my egg layers have ever produced a spotted egg) and the sounds it made were very different. When I moved my fingers around it I got the impression that the egg was hollow. Tapping it with my finger nail it sounds like tapping on a Christmas Ornament. I realize I'm probably over-analyzing... should I be concerned? From what I can tell my girls are healthy. They're also 6 months old.

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

Take Care
smile.png

If they are 6 months old I wouldn't worry. When they first start laying you find all kinds of funky looking eggs. Their system is just working the kinks out
wink.png

Don't worry! Even my older girls lay some obscure looking eggs - huge too at times - they must say ouch when they lay them - on the other side of the spectrum there are tiny eggs ( known here as "fart" eggs.....) all seem to be normal within the range of eggs - try telling that to my other half when he gets a fart egg for his breakfast!!!!

Suzie
thumbsup.gif

Don't have pics but we've seen several eggs like that from our Australorp hens that are almost two years old. Also,those hens just about quit laying in August and after what seemed forever went through a molt. Most of them are back to full shiny feathers for over a month now but we only get an egg from the six of them once a week and that egg is either wrinkled and misshapen like the one in you post or is shell less. We are starting to sharpen the axe!

Quote:
dirtsaver....our Australorps started a molt in August as well. One started laying a few weeks ago but nothing from the others until earlier this week when we went out to 4 eggs from our seven girls. I think that DH was secretly out with the ax to the grindstone...maybe the girls saw him
smile.png

I got a wrinkled egg today from my half white leghorn, the first wrinkled egg I've ever gotten. I believe she laid a soft-shelled egg early this morning, and this wrinkled egg followed a few hours later.

Yesterday she laid a huge double-yolker in a perfect shell. I've gotten a few soft-shelled eggs from her off and on.

Should I be worried? She turned 27 weeks old today.

I read it could be a viral disease (bronchitis) or not getting enough calcium in the diet, or getting too much phosphorus.

I got a wrinkled egg today from my half white leghorn, the first wrinkled egg I've ever gotten. I believe she laid a soft-shelled egg early this morning, and this wrinkled egg followed a few hours later.

Yesterday she laid a huge double-yolker in a perfect shell. I've gotten a few soft-shelled eggs from her off and on.

Should I be worried? She turned 27 weeks old today.

I read it could be a viral disease (bronchitis) or not getting enough calcium in the diet, or getting too much phosphorus.
ClareScifi. In your other post you didnt mention your chickens age. At 27 weeks old, all kinds of weird shaped eggs can be laid. I now doubt your hen has IBV. Your hens eggs will be normal as they get older. As I mentioned, with IBV there are other symptoms and you didnt mention any of those other symptoms. I think your hen will be just fine.

That is a relief, dawg53. I worry so much about my girls. But why do you think her egg white would be half watery, if it's not IBV? What else could that signify? The white in the wrinkled egg was half normal white, half watery white.

That is a relief, dawg53. I worry so much about my girls. But why do you think her egg white would be half watery, if it's not IBV? What else could that signify? The white in the wrinkled egg was half normal white, half watery white.

It's simply because she is just starting out laying. Her reproductive system will get used to producing "normal" eggs including whites and yolks in time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom