Wrinkled Rooster Wattles

pinetreepullet

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 23, 2011
Hello again!

I noticed a while ago that my rooster's wattle aren't exactly even in size. One (the right one) is smooth, but the other one is all wrinkled. It looks wrinkled near the top part nearest his beak. (top right-hand corner) it has been that way since his wattles started growing, so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that he's not purebred. (cross between Dutch and Belgian bantam) Our other rooster's wattles, (before we got rid of him) looked perfectly fine, but he had a much spikier comb. (both have rosebuds) I'm also wondering if it has anything to do with their diet as well.

Thanks so much!
smile.png

Also if anyone has tips for first-time chickens taking a bath, please tell me! I don't want to stress them a whole lot!
D.gif
(<--- Like that.
jumpy.gif
<-- Or that.)

It's just a minor genetic flaw. In a show bird it would be 1 1/2 to 1 point cut. In a cross bred backyard bird it's meaningless.

That's what I thought, but I read about wattles being wrinkled in one of my chicken care books.

Thank You!

I wouldn't bathe a chicken unless it was ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. They don't like to get wet & would likely catch cold if not extremely careful...especially if it's a baby. I let my chicks groom themselves & once they get old enuf they go to the coop & give themselves sand/dust baths which help control fleas, mites & itch their itchy spots for them. Adding a little Sevin Dust to their dirt bath works even better for the mites & fleas.

Back
Top Bottom