Wrinkled shell

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by betsycam, Aug 22, 2014.

1. betsycam

betsycam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    I have a RIR who is laying some really wierd looking wrinkled eggs. When I cracked them open to eat, there was some cloudy stuff - yuck. The second weird egg wasn't as bad as the first so I thought whatever it was is resolving itself, but then yesterday she laid one that was equally as strange as the first.

I bought her as a pullet with two others, and either they contracted Marek's at my place or came with it, because those two died a couple of months ago and UC Davis' extension office necropsied them and found Marek's. I thought this remaining girl was now a carrier who would live with it, but could this egg situation be a symptom of Marek's?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Infectious bronchitis also can cause shells like that. Sometimes birds will have a mild case and show few symptoms so you may not even notice.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Is she a new layer? Sometimes new layers will lay unshelled or other bad eggs when they are starting out. Shriveled eggs are not a symptom of Marek's Disease, but if she has gotten Marek's, it could have affected her laying ability.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    1 person likes this.
  5. cheepcheep riri

cheepcheep riri Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Bandera,TX
    I got one of those today and when I cracked it open it had a bad yolk and white cream cheese lie stuff in it. Could this be from a younger chicken or an older?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by