Writing about chickens

robinwhiskers

Songster
Aug 13, 2017
I'm usually an avid writer as a hobby, but I have had no motivation to write so I know I'm rusty. However, perhaps now that we have 13 week old chickens I might enjoy writing about them. However, it's difficult to write about them when there are basically no fiction adventure books about chickens, haha.

Anyone have any tips on writing fiction about chickens? Or know of any fiction chicken books?

I was thinking maybe a young pullet who hangs out with a stray country dog every day but can not truly meet because the chicken wire of the coop divides them, and the rest of the flock tries to convince the pullet not to befriend the dog. The chicken might end up going on all sorts of adventures with the flock in a huge field, but is still apart from the dog and the pullet is miserable. Maybe it would end with the chicken and the dog finally finding a way to get to each other?

I don't know, I like the idea if I put a little bit more work into it, but I don't think I'd have enough content to write a 30,000 word book with.

Maybe u should toss some drama in the story...like..the dog does something heroic to save the flock from a sneaky varmit....a fox..then the flock accepts the dog and the pullet and he become buddies. Many people keep Pyrenees dogs to shepherd thier flocks..they raise them as pups and they are accepted by the chickens as part of the flock and thier protector. U might even build ur story line on the pup and pullet growing up together with the flock and base ur storyline on the flock..and the pups antics annoying the hens. There is a lot if info on livestock guardian dogs on this site and u can of coarse research the breeds.

Hang out with Liberty and the girls for a few days. They will give you motivation!

Attachments

• DSC_0947_sm.jpg
    DSC_0947_sm.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 3
So cute! I have been interested in LGD's (not that I'd get one) for a while as someone who trains, pet sits, shows, and blogs about dogs so I'll finally get to researching tomorrow! If anyone else here has had or has a LGD let me know!

You wanna write a story about chickens? Then get in the coop with them. Sit on the ground and watch them. There is all kinds of drama going on in the flock. The dominant roo keeping the younger ones from stealing his hens. The broody hen who can't figure why her eggs keep disappearing when she goes off her nest to eat and drink. Then there are the hens that stand in a group and gossip about the others. Don't forget the hogzilla hen who will not allow anybody to eat from her spot, and that spot will change on a daily basis. Finding the perfect dust bathing spot is quite the chore for some hens. The appearance of Mr. (or Mrs.) Hawk can cause quite a stir. Not to mention Stinkette, the skunk who will hold the flock hostage with her stench while her kids steal eggs. And imagine the response when Slither, the snake, slides under a hen and eats her eggs while using his magical hypnotic eyes to put her to sleep. You wanna write? Use your eyes, ears, nose and lots of imagination.

Great response! I usually spend at least an hour a day in the coop hanging out with the chickens (they are only 13 weeks old so no broody egg layers yet!) so I know all their cute little quirks.

Oooh, teenage chickens are fun! They are always discovering new things like their sister's toe and try to see if the appendage is edible. And that microscopic freckle on your arm might be edible, too! Your eyeball looks pretty delicious as it glistens and is always moving. That poop they just made is fascinating and might be tasty. Glasses are even more exciting because there is a ghost chicken trapped in the lens. And your big toe? Yum! Until it moves... then it's a monster that destroyed the coop. 13 weeks is the age they discover chicken football and the rules change every second. Fun for everyone involved!

Back
Top Bottom