Writing on your egg shells........?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sticks22, Sep 16, 2008.

1. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    What is the safest way to mark your eggs for imfo? About 4 or 5 years ago my faimily went out fishing and found a handful of wild geese eggs. We took them home to hatch. Then after they hatched, within a few days we released them back into the wild.

Before we put them into the bator, which was a round metal bator. It kinda looked like a Brower. It worked really good! 5 eggs total but only 3 or 4 hatched. Not sure how many. Its been awhile and I kinda been drunk way too many times since then to really remember that well. But anyhoo! I used a black sharpie to write on the shells the date that we found them to give us an approximate date to look at when the time drew closer for them to hatch. Is using a marker harmful or is there another way to mark them so as not to poison the little guys and gals?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use pencil to mark my eggs. But I have heard of people using permanent marker to mark eggs that they are putting under a broody hen, as the pencil will rub off.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think if you are putting them in an incubator, pencil would be your best bet.

4. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Lately I've been using crayon. With my 3 kids I generally hide all the pens and then when I need one I can't find one, but crayons are everywhere. Seems to be working just great.

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have used a pencil and a permanent marker. Have not had any ill effects from either.

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Sharpie worked fine for me.

It also shows up well on the ChickCam we always set up

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I use a #2 pencil or a grease pencil. DON't use permanent marker, I have been told that this can permeate (big word) the shell and could (could) cause damage to the unborn chick. I don't take any chances!!!!

8. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:I suspect that was just somebodies *idea*. If there is evidence, I would be happy to take a look at it.

Yes there are volatile compounds in a Sharpie, but really, the quantity in a dozen letters on a shell would hardly constitute a risk. Most of them would, in any event, evaporate away from the shell ('cos that's the easiest way to go) in a second or two.

I am NOT sayin' that one method is better than the other. Just saying that I wouldn't want people putting off using either method by what might be just a fanciful notion.

Oh well, pencil works too. [​IMG]

9. Egg mostly covered with Sharpie marker:

[​IMG]

Outside:

[​IMG]

Inside:

[​IMG]

No trace of marker on inside of shell or membranes.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Now don't you be getting marker on those nails!!!

[​IMG]:lau:lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by