Writing the City Manager

Alumentum

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
Fernandina Beach Florida
Ok so, the law on fowl and other farm type animals is that they are prohibited unless you get a permit from the city manager which you have to request. Any advice on how to go about this? Should it be e-mail or hand written? What all should I mention or say exactly and is there a format I should follow? I think that if I can successfully get a permit my mom might not be so against the chicken idea since she adored the baby duck I had a year or so ago. What do you all think?

Good luck.
fl.gif

(return e-mail from City Manager's office)
Hi Krista –
Thanks for your inquiry – and for investigating the City’s limitations on the keeping of livestock per Municipal Code Section 18-2(a). You’re absolutely correct that the City Manager has the authority to allow deviation from that limitation based on his review of a written request for such.

He and I have discussed your request and find it to be reasonable and not contrary to public health or safety. This e-mail shall serve as your written authorization to proceed with your plans to house chickens in your home as described in your e-mail.
Specifically, this authorization is limited as follows:

- The chickens are to be maintained indoors.

- The maximum number of chickens to be maintained is five (5).

- This allowance is limited to a one (1) year period and may be renewed at your request if additional time is required.

- You are advised that it is your responsibility to evaluate any limitations on such activity within your community – some homeowner’s associations and/or property management firms may disallow this activity in your residence.
Should you have any questions or need any additional information, please advise. Otherwise, good luck with your academic endeavors!

Sincerely,
Marshall

wee.gif
HURAY!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom