Wrong color egg?

PFSfarmer

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
TEXAS
My Coop
My Coop
We have an Easter Egger/Arcuna/Americana that should be laying blue, green, olive color eggs like the others I thought, but she is laying a white cream colored eggs. She got badly injured and nearly lost her leg when a cow stepped on her. Could this injury have knocked her print cartridges off line?.....lol. Is a cream colored off white egg a natural color for these chickens? The others are doing the green, blue, olive thing.

I also have Americanas. 5 of them. 4 of my hens lay blue-green/ olive eggs. But one, Heer, lays really light brown almost pink eggs. It's totally natural, she may start to lay blue eggs the older she gets. but I dont think its that common. Ive heard that if you check their ear lobes, the color of their ear lobes will match the color of the hens eggs.

I have 10 EE's and they all lay different colors. I have one of them that looks white when I gather them, but next to a white egg it is almost a light gray!!

Easter eggers are named such for a reason, because they can lay just about any color egg there is. Most expect them to lay blue-ish/greenish eggs, but they don't always.... :)
Nikki

Easter Egger chickens are not a breed. You’ll find we can’t even agree on a definition for them. Some people like me think they should all at least have a copy of the blue egg gene but many others think any chickens where either parent was an Easter Egger is considered an EE. There are just no rules for what an EE should be.

The way the egg genetics work is that there is one gene that determines the base egg shell color. It is going to be either blue or white. These genes come in pairs and blue is dominant, so if just one of these genes is blue the hen will lay an egg that is base blue.

There are a lot of different genes that affect how much brown is put on the egg shell. That’s why you can get so many different shades. Green is just brown on top of base blue. This might help explain it.

Base blue + no brown = Blue
Base blue + brown = Green
Base white + no brown = White
Base white + brown = Brown

Base color, whether blue or white, does not change over time. If your hen is laying brown or white eggs, they are not going to change to blue or green. The actual shade of the egg can change some but not the base genetics behind it.

I don’t know where you got your EE’s. Doesn’t matter. What it means is that the parent flock has at least one rooster and one hen that are not pure for the blue egg gene but have at least one not-blue (white) gene. Genetics are random. You happened to get one where the blue genes were absent. It’s not all that unusual whether from hatcheries or individuals.

Back
Top Bottom