Wry Disease 5 Week Old Pekin?

Suedan

Crowing
Sep 18, 2019
Maryland
I am hopeful for guidance with a 5 week old Pekin with possible Wry Disease. I am a new duck owner and am raising 6 ducks including 2 Pekins, 2 Khaki Campbells, 1 Rouen and 1 Sweedish. Everyone is healthy with the exception of one of the Pekins who grew substantially larger than the other Pekin. During week 1 and 2 it seemed as though his crop was abnormal however in week 3 and 4 it appeared as though he held his neck different than the others. By week 5 he is very large and just under 5 lbs and now has an s shape (twisted) neck and head weakness however he is able to eat, drink and swim with supervision. He is active when fed and swimming but lays down most of the day. He is bright and alert but has an obvious disability. He is able to rest comfortably by keeping his body sternal but rest his face on the side verses holding his head and neck up right. I am understanding from a small animal veterinarian that he is symptomatic of Wry disease. He is eating Purina Flock Grower and Duck all life stages mixed in, I am giving 1 vitamin E capsule daily (too much?), 1 tsp of Brewers Yeast daily, peas and scrambled eggs daily, a small amount of spinach and romaine alternated daily, and a few drops of Nutri Drench daily, and a sprinkle of Turmeric daily. Is there any other guidance that someone can provide? I am concerned that there may be more that I could be doing for him. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

Attachments

• Message_1568925414452.jpg
    Message_1568925414452.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190918-221023.png
    Screenshot_20190918-221023.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I am hopeful for guidance with a 5 week old Pekin with possible Wry Disease. I am a new duck owner and am raising 6 ducks including 2 Pekins, 2 Khaki Campbells, 1 Rouen and 1 Sweedish. Everyone is healthy with the exception of one of the Pekins who grew substantially larger than the other Pekin. During week 1 and 2 it seemed as though his crop was abnormal however in week 3 and 4 it appeared as though he held his neck different than the others. By week 5 he is very large and just under 5 lbs and now has an s shape (twisted) neck and head weakness however he is able to eat, drink and swim with supervision. He is active when fed and swimming but lays down most of the day. He is bright and alert but has an obvious disability. He is able to rest comfortably by keeping his body sternal but rest his face on the side verses holding his head and neck up right. I am understanding from a small animal veterinarian that he is symptomatic of Wry disease. He is eating Purina Flock Grower and Duck all life stages mixed in, I am giving 1 vitamin E capsule daily (too much?), 1 tsp of Brewers Yeast daily, peas and scrambled eggs daily, a small amount of spinach and romaine alternated daily, and a few drops of Nutri Drench daily, and a sprinkle of Turmeric daily. Is there any other guidance that someone can provide? I am concerned that there may be more that I could be doing for him. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

He’s only 5 weeks old and almost 5 lbs? My year old ducks are about 4.5 lbs. He’s going to be a big duck! By the way, from what I’ve heard ducks aren’t supposed to have spinach.

B1EDDF2E-CEBB-4F82-9785-F8838E425AD1.jpeg
Small amount of spinach isn’t going to cause problems but for now while trying to treat your duck I’d leave off the spinach. Get liquid b complex and start that along with one capsule of vit E give your duck 1 ml morning an evening over a tasty treat the b complex has all the bs and has been the best for treating. If 5 lbs at 5 weeks he must be a jumbo Pekin and leg issues are usually their main problem the b complex will help strengthen his legs scrambled egg will give him selenium that he needs to help with wry neck along with the vit E. TSC has the best liquid b complex just peel the foil and use a dropper to take out what you need

Thank you so very much. I used the small quantities of spinach as a natural E source. Is he too young for sunflower seeds? Thank you once again. I love this big guy, any advice is warmly appreciated.
I think they changed their mind about spinach being bad for them so I wouldn't worry about that @casportpony has an article about that I believe.

Definitely get the liquid b complex and give them some peas! I have a duckling that is 4 weeks old that has some type of spinal injury making the duck wobble at all times... The liquid b complex, peas, and nutritional yeast have really helped her. Wry neck I believe can be from genetics or a deficiency, but I've seen it be fixed with giving the proper vitamins and minerals.

And Pekins grow at a very fast rate, which gives them several issues especially their legs. I learned this after purchasing a Pekin duckling at TSC, it's legs were bent at a 90 degree angle it was awful but after a week of b complex, they were completely straight.

Thank you so very much everyone! Vitamin B complex and E are on board, I will continue brewers yeast and peas and scrambled eggs. Thank you! You guys are the best!

Back
Top Bottom