1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wry Neck , 3-4 week old Polish chick!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leela2012, Mar 7, 2014.

1. leela2012

leela2012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    San Jose
    Help! We got these chicks at just a few days old and now our little polish has wry neck, she isn't completely twisted yet, she is more like tilting her head to the side and walking in circles. she also looks like she's walking crooked and spazzes out when I try to touch her, and falls over. She is eating but I am not sure how to help her. I saw all the vitamin stuff people use, but how to administer to such a tiny chick? Do I need to put it in the water, or give it straight? I am not sure if this is from an injury or what. The other 2 chicks she's with have been there since the beginning, they love eachother. She still needs a heatlamp so turning off the light is not an option. What should I do? My little boy will be heartbroken if she dies.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    For now you can use save a chick vitamin packets in the water or PolyVisol baby vitamins 2-3 drops by mouth daily. The main vitamins she needs are vitamin B1 or thiamine, E, and the mineral selenium, and all of those are in Poultry Nutridrench or Poultry Cell vitamins which you can find online or perhaps at your feed store. Google crook neck, and click on 2 links: the one Brown egg blue egg and the other is Our Egg blogspot. Those will give you many instructions. Also search here on the forum for hundreds of threads on wry neck. It may take weeks to fix, so keep trying.

3. leela2012

leela2012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    San Jose
    Thank you so much! Right now I am giving her the vitamins in a tiny a tiny bit of mash.That is the only way I get her to eat it. It's so traumatizing trying to hold her and force feed it. I also have the chick saver stuff in the water and add some more poly vi sol in the regular food just for good measure. She is in with 2 other chicks, and when I take them out, she screeches like she is dying, so she still has her brooder mates. So for now, I think they best I can do is just give her that little bit of vita mash that I make morning and night (2 pills of Vit.E, 2-3 drops of poly vi sol, and a little teeny pinch of selenium power). She likes it, and eats it all. Hopefully she will get better. It's just taking a long time......such a weird thing to happen. Praying she comes out of it. She actually looks much better than some of the chicks I have seen on this forum. That also gives me hope. [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by