Wry Neck and B vitamin Injections

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
Good Morning!! I have a 6 month oldish Silkie pullet who cant raise her head. She is just walking around looking at the ground. When I pick her up, her neck completely curls down. I am assuming wry neck.

I am also gonna assume its a vitamin deficiency because I bought her about 3 months ago from an NPIP breeder and we have tight bio security (so i am ruling out Mareks), and she is in a secure coop/run and not around any large chickens that could have injured her.

That being said, i am picking up some 400mg E with Selenium capsules and will start her on those twice a day. I also read to give her B complex. I have some injectable B complex, but not sure how much and where to inject that.
Please let me know if you can think of anything else i can do for her. Id hate to cull her, she seems very happy and gets around just fine (right now).
Thanks in Advanced!!

Good Morning!! I have a 6 month oldish Silkie pullet who cant raise her head. She is just walking around looking at the ground. When I pick her up, her neck completely curls down. I am assuming wry neck.

I am also gonna assume its a vitamin deficiency because I bought her about 3 months ago from an NPIP breeder and we have tight bio security (so i am ruling out Mareks), and she is in a secure coop/run and not around any large chickens that could have injured her.

That being said, i am picking up some 400mg E with Selenium capsules and will start her on those twice a day. I also read to give her B complex. I have some injectable B complex, but not sure how much and where to inject that.
Please let me know if you can think of anything else i can do for her. Id hate to cull her, she seems very happy and gets around just fine (right now).
Thanks in Advanced!!
You mention she's gets around fine - is the only time she curls her neck up is when you pick her up? Could be a defense posture. Get a video of her actions if possible, Upload to Youtube and provide a link.

Wry Neck is a symptom, some causes are Marek's disease, vitamin deficiency and trauma.
Being NPIP doesn't mean birds can't have Marek's.

Give 400IU Vitamin E daily along with some Egg. Egg has sufficient Selenium for the uptake of E - no need to buy extra Selenium - besides you can overdose it if not careful.

Photo of the B-Complex you have would be good - hard to know what you have it may be something you can give orally. I sure wouldn't inject it.

What do you feed?

Here is a video of her and photos of the b complex.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DmRLrmkVZBKnLR2Q9

If i cant use this (its what i have on hand for my goats), i can pick up some capsules.

Thanks for the tips on the selenium! Ill stick to the yolks.

For the NPIP comment, she was supposed to be from a negative flock and vaccinated. She also doesnt free range and isnt exposed to other birds except the babies we have hatched here. She also has no other symptoms besides this weird neck thing.

Thanks for your help!!

I would give her the B Complex orally. 1/2 ml a day along with the Vitamin E and egg.

She is exhibiting neurological symptoms that's for sure.
I would make sure she's able to see well and trim facial hair if need be.
Look inside her ears just to make sure the issue isn't infection, ear canker or mites.

Marek's vaccine helps prevent the formation of tumors, but does not stop infection from the virus. So it's always a possibility.

Every state is a little different, but NPIP usually tests for Avian Influenza, Pullorum, Typhoid. Sometimes other fowl like Turkey, etc are also tested for Mycoplasma diseases.
Testing for Marek's disease is usually done through necropsy.

I would give her the B Complex orally. 1/2 ml a day along with the Vitamin E and egg.

She is exhibiting neurological symptoms that's for sure.
I would make sure she's able to see well and trim facial hair if need be.
Look inside her ears just to make sure the issue isn't infection, ear canker or mites.

Marek's vaccine helps prevent the formation of tumors, but does not stop infection from the virus. So it's always a possibility.

Every state is a little different, but NPIP usually tests for Avian Influenza, Pullorum, Typhoid. Sometimes other fowl like Turkey, etc are also tested for Mycoplasma diseases.
Testing for Marek's disease is usually done through necropsy.
Thank you very much!!!! Ill be giving her first dose shortly and running to grab the E vitamins.

Last question, can i mix the E and B into the eggs?

Maybe i am seeing things, but she looks much more perky this morning! Head still isnt strait, but she is holding her neck a bit higher. I also gave her a hair cut yesterday (looks terrible😹), but she actually turned her head to look at me!! This is exciting! Thank you again @Wyorp Rock for the advice!

Maybe i am seeing things, but she looks much more perky this morning! Head still isnt strait, but she is holding her neck a bit higher. I also gave her a hair cut yesterday (looks terrible😹), but she actually turned her head to look at me!! This is exciting! Thank you again @Wyorp Rock for the advice!
I hope she's on her way to recovery!
Thanks for the update - please do let me know how she's getting along!

LOL I bet she's still cute even with a haircut.

Back
Top Bottom