Wry neck and watery poop

Scottiemom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Nine Mile Falls, WA
This morning one of my 16 week old 55 Flowery Hens is hanging her head with her neck completely stretch out, wings drooped, and clear, watery poop. She still walks around, but not much. She seemed fine yesterday, then when the girls came out of the coop this morning, she was like this. Everyone else (they are all the same age or younger) seem fine.
I have put her in a large, wire crate with some nutri drench water and some feed blended with hard cooked egg and a bit of ground almonds. Any idea what's wrong? Nothing has changed in the run and they aren't allowed to free range yet.

Attachments

• 20190715_053402.jpg
    20190715_053402.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 41
I would give her 400IU of vitamin E, some B1, and a bit of cooked egg or tuna (for selenium to help with uptake of the E), daily. Wry neck can be from vitamin deficiencies, but can also be from disease or injury. Deficiencies are not uncommon, and other causes don't have much for treatment options, so usually that is the first step. Nutri drench has those vitamins, but when it's a deficiency, you need larger amounts to get it reversed.
Wry neck info: https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html
https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2014/04/preventing-and-treating-wry-neck-in.html
Edited to add: Check her crop function also, make sure it's working properly. Should be empty in the morning before access to feed and water. Make sure it doesn't feel very hard, or very soft and squishy. When she eats you will feel food in there, as she digests it should go down. With wry neck you may have to help her eat.

Well, I think she may be out of the woods! I tried getting as much Nutri-drench water into her as I could. Food was not an option as she was a complete ragdoll, barely swallowing as she drank tiny bits. She got so bad I was almost positive she wasn't going to make it! But, by mid day today, she seemed to start to come around. By dinner time, she was was eating, drinking and walking (carefully) all on her own! She gobbled down scrabbled eggs with tuna and she is stretching her wings and legs. It's amazing, she seems almost completely back to normal!
So, any iaddituonal thoughts as to what caused this? To go downhill so fast and then rebound just as quick? She did poop some very dark green, watery poop while in her "Hospital room", but that was it.

Back
Top Bottom