Wry neck and??

Asulyma

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2021
I have a 6 month old that suddenly lost a lot of weight last week. She was lethargic and I couldn’t get her to eat but I got her to drink some. I thought it might be botulism and then coccidiosis but now she has a crooked neck and falls over backwards. I’ve been tube feeding her nutridrench and vitamin e for 4-5 days along with kaytee exact but she doesn’t seem to be getting better. All she wants to do is sleep. Does wry neck make them tired? My other 7 chickens are all fine.

9E7A95D5-D1DF-47C7-BE5D-FC5FD34A42A4.jpeg

The top was her a couple days ago here she is today
E54C6788-E5D1-4BF4-9F5F-36C7DDF8E166.jpeg

Attachments

• 39D6FE22-3B35-4007-9D86-42FAE44139AD.jpeg
    39D6FE22-3B35-4007-9D86-42FAE44139AD.jpeg
    616.6 KB · Views: 14
Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Wry neck (torticolis) is a neurological symptom. It can be a sign of a head injury, bitamin E or thiamine (B1) deficiency, but it also can be seen in certain diseases that affect the brain. Those include Mareks disease, fowl cholera, and exotic Newcastles disease among others. If trying vitamin E and thiamine, plus feeding her for 2 weeks does not help, I would try to rule out Mareks. Sorry that she is sick.

Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Wry neck (torticolis) is a neurological symptom. It can be a sign of a head injury, bitamin E or thiamine (B1) deficiency, but it also can be seen in certain diseases that affect the brain. Those include Mareks disease, fowl cholera, and exotic Newcastles disease among others. If trying vitamin E and thiamine, plus feeding her for 2 weeks does not help, I would try to rule out Mareks. Sorry that she is sick.
Thank you, I’m wondering if it is Mareks disease now. Our first original chicks (4 years ago) were vaccinated so I assumed these were too but I forgot I had gotten them at a local feed store but these girls are from tractor supply and I just read that they don’t vaccinate at all.

No, most chicks from feed stores are rarely vaccinated, unless ordered for the buyer that has ordered chicks and an extra fee. She is at the age when Mareks can strike, but I would try the vitamins. Injury could also be a possibility. I hope that she improves.

No, most chicks from feed stores are rarely vaccinated, unless ordered for the buyer that has ordered chicks and an extra fee. She is at the age when Mareks can strike, but I would try the vitamins. Injury could also be a possibility. I hope that she improves.
Thank you so much!

No, most chicks from feed stores are rarely vaccinated, unless ordered for the buyer that has ordered chicks and an extra fee. She is at the age when Mareks can strike, but I would try the vitamins. Injury could also be a possibility. I hope that she
Have you ever dealt with something wrong with your chickens ears? I was just bathing her bottom and noticed something looking dry on her ear and I thought it was food maybe dripped but after I got it cleaned I saw this huge thing inside of it. I compared it to her other ear but her other ear just looks basically like a hole.

Attachments

• E30E9540-9EFD-4541-9DA6-039AE8C4878D.jpeg
    E30E9540-9EFD-4541-9DA6-039AE8C4878D.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 14
Have you ever dealt with something wrong with your chickens ears? I was just bathing her bottom and noticed something looking dry on her ear and I thought it was food maybe dripped but after I got it cleaned I saw this huge thing inside of it. I compared it to her other ear but her other ear just looks basically like a hole.
You got good advice on your other thread concerning the infection you found in the ear. Hopefully treating for that will help her improve.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ear-infection.1493750/

Back
Top Bottom