Wry neck.. but only in the dark?

is_chimera

Hatching
Aug 18, 2023
I have a hen who appears to have wry neck..? However, the symptoms only happen in the dark. During the day, she seems fine.

In low light and in the dark, she starts stargazing, twisting her head, and eventually pushing back into herself. She couldn't keep her balance on the roost and I found her on the floor of the coop, backed into a corner just.. wide eyed and waggling her head. When I brought her inside my home, she came around and was her normal self. Just outside the door in the dark, she started showing signs again.

I have already started treatment for wry neck and I'm planning to keep her in a pet carrier at night so she doesn't injure herself... but I'm wondering if anyone else has any insight into what this could be. It seems bizarre that she magically recovers in the daylight if it were really wry neck, right? That's not how that works, is it?

A few things
- She did hurt her wing last week. She's my escape artist and I wonder if she got herself stuck somewhere weird in the fence. The wing made a good recovery so I let her be, but now I wonder if she injured her neck or head somehow.
- It has been very hot here.
- I have 5 additional hens and they all seem well, though I'm going to be checking them regularly at night and keeping a close eye on them.

I'm including videos - something from yesterday, last night and again this morning to show the difference in behavior and symptoms, and her 'miraculous recovery' this morning.

Thank you for your time.

Check this thread out:
Post in thread 'Something strange is happening with my hen… Updates with video’s attached. Any help and suggestions needed!' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/something-strange-is-happening-with-my-hen…-updates-with-video’s-attached-any-help-and-suggestions-needed.1578646/post-26828516
Oh my goodness, thank you! I was going mad trying to find the exact symptoms. This is all so similar to what we're experiencing.

Going to keep giving vitamins just in case, and it's tragic my hen has some goofy problem that'll need management... but also a relief to see it might be genetic/neurological and not some rare disease.

It's interesting because this thread links to another about a hen named Bracket, who seems cured after going broody. Someone suggests a hormonal imbalance. Something I left out is that Speckle crows/screams. Her name is Speckle from a male character in Tuca and Bertie, because I suspected she was a late developing roo for a while. However, she absolutely lays eggs. Could all just be a coincidence but also, fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom