Wry neck caused by head injury?

Has anyone raised a chick with wry neck caused by head injury?

mine got pushed or rolled out of the nesting box fell about 4 ft & hatched prematurely. i’ve had trouble feeding too. i’m using a syringe trying to get as much in him as i can. what are you using? anybody know an easier way?
Same chick you posted about in another thread? If not, do you have any idea how the chick was injured?
How old is the chick?
Can you post some photos of the chick or a video of her actions?

Can she walk at all? Describe the symptoms?

Wry Neck is a neurological symptom. Vitamin deficiency, head injury and disease like Marek's are a few causes.
Sometimes with supportive care and vitamin therapy a chicken with head injury may recover - it takes time. If you have some Poultry Nutri-drench, then I would give the chick 2-3 drops twice a day. See that she's hydrated well and offer wet soupy feed to eat.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-wont-open-eyes.1383250/post-22728374

Same chick you posted about in another thread? If not, do you have any idea how the chick was injured?
How old is the chick?
Can you post some photos of the chick or a video of her actions?

Can she walk at all? Describe the symptoms?

Wry Neck is a neurological symptom. Vitamin deficiency, head injury and disease like Marek's are a few causes.
Sometimes with supportive care and vitamin therapy a chicken with head injury may recover - it takes time. If you have some Poultry Nutri-drench, then I would give the chick 2-3 drops twice a day. See that she's hydrated well and offer wet soupy feed to eat.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-wont-open-eyes.1383250/post-22728374

Attachments

• C72369DF-3B92-4A2E-A04F-B8C430B6A947.jpeg
    C72369DF-3B92-4A2E-A04F-B8C430B6A947.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 14
She’s 5 days old. Either from falling out of the nesting box, possibly pushed out by mama, or the other chickens in the pen pecking at her? i’m really not sure. i’m trying to send the video now

she seems to have bad balance & often has her eyes closed. trying to scratch & eat with the other chickens but i haven’t seen her drink. she’s half the size of the other chicks now

She’s 5 days old. Either from falling out of the nesting box, possibly pushed out by mama, or the other chickens in the pen pecking at her? i’m really not sure. i’m trying to send the video now
she seems to have bad balance & often has her eyes closed. trying to scratch & eat with the other chickens but i haven’t seen her drink. she’s half the size of the other chicks now
I don't see a twisted, pulled in or crooked neck that I would associate with the symptom Wry Neck.
I would assume due to the wound on the side of her head, the tinting above the eye and what looks like a crusty nostrils she has suffered trauma.
Are you treating her wound? I would apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound, it won't hurt if it gets into the eye. You may want to gently open the eye and see if it's intact.
Clear out the nostril so it's easier for her to breath.

I would get some Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell and give her 2-3 drops twice a day for 3-5 days. You can either give her drops from a syringe or if you fear she'll aspirate, dip a qtip in the liquids and press it against her beak letting the liquid seep in. Take your time and allow her to swallow. I would work on hydration first, then try to get her to eat some wet chick starter.

For video, the BYC upload does not work so you will need to upload to youtube or similar platform and provide a link.

I don't see a twisted, pulled in or crooked neck that I would associate with the symptom Wry Neck.
I would assume due to the wound on the side of her head, the tinting above the eye and what looks like a crusty nostrils she has suffered trauma.
Are you treating her wound? I would apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound, it won't hurt if it gets into the eye. You may want to gently open the eye and see if it's intact.
Clear out the nostril so it's easier for her to breath.

I would get some Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell and give her 2-3 drops twice a day for 3-5 days. You can either give her drops from a syringe or if you fear she'll aspirate, dip a qtip in the liquids and press it against her beak letting the liquid seep in. Take your time and allow her to swallow. I would work on hydration first, then try to get her to eat some wet chick starter.

For video, the BYC upload does not work so you will need to upload to youtube or similar platform and provide a link.
the reason i asked about wry neck was because she kept falling over & laying on her back. also holding her she doesn’t feel symmetrical i guess you could say. i’ve been putting Neosporin without pain relief on the wound since the day she hatched & it seems to be getting better. (i’ve seen some of the other bitties pecking at it though ): her eye seems to be intact & fine, she just chooses not to open them often.

the reason i asked about wry neck was because she kept falling over & laying on her back. also holding her she doesn’t feel symmetrical i guess you could say. i’ve been putting Neosporin without pain relief on the wound since the day she hatched & it seems to be getting better. (i’ve seen some of the other bitties pecking at it though ): her eye seems to be intact & fine, she just chooses not to open them often.

Falling over and onto her back does sound neurological. It may be a problem from hatch, the fall, genetics, etc. The Poultry Nutri-Drench contains Vitamin E and B1 - both of these are use to help treat neurological symptoms like Wry Neck.

If the others are picking at her wound, then placing her behind a barrier of chicken wire so she can heal would be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom