Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

My chicks head was all twisted too, I would place my hand on her chest and gently straighten out her neck - this wasn't hard for me, but I can't really explain it other then without forcing her neck I could straighten it out and place her beak in the bowl of food and water. Selenium can be found at cvs or walgreens, probably even walmart. I think the poly vi sol it pretty important as it has a different mix of vitamins then the ones sold for chickens. I don't know - but it is working for me. Also I would use an entire capsule of vitamin e oil. not sure what you are using or if it's as strong, my capsules are 400 iu per capsule. Hope that helps.

My chicks head/neck is now completely normal, she can move it without (obvious) stress. She seems really happy, but she was as bad as yours to start. Liquid food: What I did: I bought a small bag of medicated chick feed, a bottle of poly vi sol, a bottle of selenium, bottle of non flavored -no dyes pediasure and a bottle of vitamin e capsules. I would crush one tablet of selenium, poke a hole in the vit e capsule and squeeze all of the vitamin e out, a full dropper of poly vi sol and add all of that to the chick crumbles, then I added non - flavored/dye free pediasure to the crumbles until it looked like mud. Mix it all up really well! I would also add in some scrambled eggs - she loves that!

Thank you- I'm currently using vitamin E 500 iu and I bought some selenium yesterday so crushing a tablet and using that.. Is poly vi sol an American product? Cause I looked yesterday but couldn't find it. I'm using a vitamin gel for animals called Nutri pet and I'm mixing these into parrot baby formula. Would the crumbles be better? Never thought of that as I'm syringe feeding and thought they'd be to chunky?
She laps the mixture off the syringe but its hard to tell if she's even swallowing it based in her head position :(
I'm doing all I can but really think she will pass...

I'm still not sure which way her head is twisted
sad.png
is their a way to tell? I can move it equally to both sides but she gets distressed and I'm worried its the wrong way
sad.png

Will she eventually straighten it in her own if she recovers? Or will leaving it like this create issues in her neck any ways?
OK in the pic her head is twsting to the Right, ONLY give her a Little bit of the selenium, she does not need a whole pill. Just a tab, it helps maintain the Vitamin E. Let me look up the liquid diet recept. Give me a moment..

Liquid diet receipe:

Hard Boiled egg, start with one
Plain Yogurt About one maybe two tablespoons
1/4 teaspoon of Vitamins, I like polyvisol without iron
Electrolyte Water, needs to be warm give as much as you desire.

Mix all these ingredients in a liquid. Puree very well, keep adding water as needed.

Once it's puree you can feed them with a dropper or syringe.

Sorry for the delay in response, I'm not getting any email notifications and I thought humm that's strange so I went on to take a look. So I didn't mean to ignore your responses..

Liquid diet receipe:

Hard Boiled egg, start with one
Plain  Yogurt About one maybe two tablespoons
1/4 teaspoon of Vitamins, I like polyvisol without iron
Electrolyte Water, needs to be warm give as much as you desire. 

[COLOR=0000FF]Mix all these ingredients in a liquid.  Puree very well, keep adding water as needed.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Once it's puree you can feed them with a dropper or syringe.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Sorry for the delay in response, I'm not getting any email notifications and I thought humm that's strange so I went on to take a look.  So I didn't mean to ignore your responses..[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF] [/COLOR]

Thank you for getting back to me- why do you say she doesn't need a lot of the selenium? When she does turn her neck it's to the left??? I'm just letting her move it but it seems to be going more to the left. I've been feeding her grower crumbles grinded to a powder adding 1 crushed Selenium tablet 1 capsule of vit e 1 B6 vitamin crushed and a drop of electrolyes. Then add boiled water and mix. She's actually attempting to eat it on her own now. I'm not using the syringe at all. If I put her beak in it off she goes, but she's not eating ALL of it at the moment. So she wouldn't be getting ALL the pills I put in... She can't stand though and pushes up with her legs until she falls over :(. Have towels rapped around her ( like in pic) propping her up. IF she improves will she get the strength to stand or walk? I'm a little worried this may just be prolonging a negative outcome.. I won't give up on her but its really heartbreaking when I can see she can't even stand :( also she doesn't open her eyes much at all. Ad whilst feeding her. Have to continuously rub her head/ neck to keep her eating. Otherwise she falls asleep. Is this normal for this illness??
It's time like this you wish you had someone to give you a second opinion :/ and tell you your not wasting your time and it'll be worth it... I hope I'm doing the right thing for my girl :( she's only about 18 weeks old

Also, today I noticed that when I pick her up to re position her, she drops her head forward but down and its twisted like she's looking up at the sky. But she swings it back up over her back when settle her. Not sure why it swings so forward????

I didn't explain that very well- sorry. It reminded me of your comment when their head is down and under their chest!! That's what I mean by forward lol.. Facing the ground but head looking up.. Hope that's a better explanation..

I just made up your liquid diet Lacrystol- and I'm in shock as I think you were right about her head being twisted to the right! Cause now she is twisting it to the front going that way :) wow I feel slack that I've been holding the food etc to the left. BUT now when it's at the front ( correct way/ position) the feathers on the left side of her neck stick out a little giving the appearance their is a bugs their, but when I FEEL the neck bones it feels correct.. Could the feathers sticking out just be because her head WAS twisted that way??? Sorry I know I've added a lot this afternoon to this post- but. Really need the advice as I'm kinda just guessing lol.. But the fact her head to to the front is god right?? I'm still worried about her legs though and her nt being able to stand. It's like her feet come to far forward now and she crosses them not allowing herself to put pressure on them. I'm constantly tucking them back underneath of her but she pushes them forward :(
Also where are you from? I'm in Australia and notice its usually hours before you reply

Thank you for getting back to me- why do you say she doesn't need a lot of the selenium? When she does turn her neck it's to the left??? I'm just letting her move it but it seems to be going more to the left. I've been feeding her grower crumbles grinded to a powder adding 1 crushed Selenium tablet 1 capsule of vit e 1 B6 vitamin crushed and a drop of electrolyes. Then add boiled water and mix. She's actually attempting to eat it on her own now. I'm not using the syringe at all. If I put her beak in it off she goes, but she's not eating ALL of it at the moment. So she wouldn't be getting ALL the pills I put in... She can't stand though and pushes up with her legs until she falls over
sad.png
. Have towels rapped around her ( like in pic) propping her up. IF she improves will she get the strength to stand or walk? I'm a little worried this may just be prolonging a negative outcome.. I won't give up on her but its really heartbreaking when I can see she can't even stand
sad.png
also she doesn't open her eyes much at all. Ad whilst feeding her. Have to continuously rub her head/ neck to keep her eating. Otherwise she falls asleep. Is this normal for this illness??
It's time like this you wish you had someone to give you a second opinion
hmm.png
and tell you your not wasting your time and it'll be worth it... I hope I'm doing the right thing for my girl
sad.png
she's only about 18 weeks old
To much Selenium is not good and could cause death.

When you feed her feel her crop make sure she's getting enough. Good to hear your not using the syringe sounds like perhaps very slowly she's coming out of it.. Yes if she improves she'll get walking and standing capablity back.

I'm not sure if this is wry neck that's my only concerned. Check her eyes does she have any crustiness to them? Keep working with her hopefully she will snap out of it.

Back
Top Bottom