Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Pics
Thanks Lori, I weighed her yesterday and she was 667 grams... She has now been moved into a rabbit cage lol still inside but she is moving around a lot more now, & the carry cage she was sitting in isn't high enough for her to stretch up as she does now
smile.png
she is still holding that neck to the side- but she is alert with eyes open for hours now
smile.png
and she constantly walks around in her circles. I'm still thinking is this a huge improvement as she was listless constantly sleeping and only sitting a week or so ago...
I am praying she eventually moves that neck into the correct position. Cause she still doesn't peck at the ground and only eats what I feed her. I'm worried if her neck is crooked per mantle she can't survive and isn't having the life she deserves. Sure I can hand feed her 3 times a day but that's not fair to do forever... How long would you give this until you said its not going to move back to correct position??
I'm thinking if its still the same after 3 months or longer I'd say progress is limited greatly. That gives me about 6 more weeks to get this little fighter back on track so she can be a chicken again...
She clucks at me now when she see's me Lol, it's like she knows its feeding time- Bless her!!!
I am surprised at how alert she is and her behaviour has down a 180.... From falling over and looking dead to this today is truly amazing
smile.png
I love my little " Licorice"

The ONLY thing that wrong with her now s this bloody crook neck.. I'm so proud of her, & I have become touched and bonded to her after spending many hours with her keeping her alive. She is one special girl whom will always have a very soft spot in my heart...
OK again you have to give her time, she's a very slow progressing chicken. I'm telling you I think one day you are going to go out there and BOOM, she is going to look at you as if to say, "Hi, are you OK". While your standing there with you mouth dropped, Heart beating so loud that I can hear it in OHIO. Then I can see you RUSHING so fast into the house, you will probably trip over your own feet, just to get on the computer to say "OMG, SHE HAS HER NECK STRAIGHT".. LOL...

Well it sounded good when I was typing it.. LOL.... Give her time, her progress is sooo amazing, I just have a good feeling she is going to SNAP right out of this, she has come such a long way.. It's absolutely CRAZY....

Aww thanks Lori, I feel really close to you too now hehe.... And yes your theory sounds awesome:)
I'm telling you she is full of beans now lol- walking in circles, scratching- shaking her tail and standing as tall as she can. Just this stupid neck :(
Tonight while feeding her I massaged her neck like I have been EVERY feed & I noticed she is pulling it tightly back into this crook position. She has been feeding like each feed is her last, and when she is FULL to the brim it's as though she is drunk LOL.. Well tonight while she was drunk hehe, (she is more relaxed ) i could straighten that neck by pulling ( softly ) forward- like straight out in front of her. And by stretching it straight UP towards the sky. It actually does goes straight. But as soon as I let it go I can feel the tension she puts on it by pulling it back... I'm hoping its just a matter of strengthening the muscles and her relaxing it and WULLA it will be back to normal...

She has her eyes open most of the day now, clucks and walks around- her poos are getting firmer with say every 3 one looking normal.. I am giving her some "Scourban" & have been for 3 days now. It has definitely helped. Oh I ran out of vitamin E yesterday and was wondering if you think I should get more? Reason I ask is I read that after so long it won't do anything, but im not sure if this is true? She's had 100 tablets since this started LOL.. So she has definitely had vitamin e although I'm not sure if its done anything. I've also stopped the "Selenium " and currently she is only getting Vitamin B complex and fish oil 2 times a day.. Our advice here would be appreciated :)

I'm shocked I have helped her so much and am feeling a little proud of my efforts.. I honestly thought she was a gonna especially when she couldn't even sit without rolling over.. Well she has proved me wrong BIG TIME and definitely doesn't look as though she's going to die anymore :) as long as I keep feeding her she is bright and alert..

Let me know if there is anything I should do I'm not and if there is any way I can help her relax this neck???
I have some " rescue remedy" I use for the rabbits before a show to relax them- do you think it may help her Relax?? Your thoughts??

Thanks Again your a lovely person xx

I would stop the vitamin E, if she starts to turn her neck towards the back like she had it at the beginning, then I would get some more otherwise there's no since. Doesn't seem to be helping right now so I wouldn't bother anymore. If the Scourban is helping I would keep that up.. Time will only help her now. WOOO HOOOO

How is she doing? Please pm me
What is sourban? My silkie Milly has wry neck now. Please write back
Get her some Vitamin E and Seluim and Polyvisol. Give her two drops of polyvisol three times a day, Give her a FULL capfull of Vitamin E, When you give her the Vitamin E dip it into the Seluim, they ONLY need a Tiny drop of the Seluim. SOme of my silkies I have treated without it..

How old is she?

I'm glad you found this thread. If you read from beginning I'm sure my conversation with Lori explains & covers everything I have done and tried for my girl...
I only used the Scourban because I had it for my rabbits and I knew it helped stop gastric ( which rabbits get and can kill them) it is a medicine for intestinal parasites like Lori said
My girl had really watery poos so I thought it would help her firm them up which it did.
Oh I also treated my hen for cocci & wormed her at the beginning of her illness. I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything connected to those.
Have you wormed and treated your girl for cocci?? If not I would.. I used "bay cox" and "ivermectin" for these...
Keep us posted and I'm sure Lori and myself will help with advice if we can :)
Just stay positive and don't give up!! From my experience its a slow recovery but one that's achievable stay on it :)

Ok, I think I have another problem :(
Yesterday lunch time and this morning my girls crop was NOT empty :( it's not hard it's soft and spongy and she is still eating hungrily. My question is do I keep feeding her if its not empty AND should I be giving her some oil in her food to help?
I don't know why this has happened- I haven't changed her food at all? Any suggestions as to why? I just don't want it to go to SOUR CROP.. And it's not hard so doesn't feel impacted??? I'm clueless as to why..
Her attitude has not changed- she's still moving around- pooing, scratching etc. just this crop isn't emoting :(
Help please

Ok, I think I have another problem
sad.png

Yesterday lunch time and this morning my girls crop was NOT empty
sad.png
it's not hard it's soft and spongy and she is still eating hungrily. My question is do I keep feeding her if its not empty AND should I be giving her some oil in her food to help?
I don't know why this has happened- I haven't changed her food at all? Any suggestions as to why? I just don't want it to go to SOUR CROP.. And it's not hard so doesn't feel impacted??? I'm clueless as to why..
Her attitude has not changed- she's still moving around- pooing, scratching etc. just this crop isn't emoting
sad.png

Help please
I pray this isn't a sign of shutting down. Let's keep positive, Massage, massage that crop for like 5 minutes three to 4 times a day. Do not use oil! Especially massage at night to help move the food along, you may hear some squishing noises and bubbles may come up and then BOOM all of a suddenly it's empty. I would cut down on the food until you can get what's in the crop to move along...

When massaging do it at a downward position not side to side but from top to bottom..

Back
Top Bottom