Wry neck for 7 weeks

Chickiebabylover

Hatching
Sep 2, 2019
Hello,
I am new to the backyard chicken forum, though I have referred to it dozens of times while raising 6 Buff Orpingtons and 2 ducklings, now 4!
I have an issue with my 9 week old Pekin.
We believe she has wry neck. When she was 2 weeks old she woke up with a hurt leg.
Through research we learned that they need niacin supplements, so to be sure it wasn’t a deficiency I started giving them Niacin in their water. We also have a Rouen the same age. A week later her leg was better but I noticed that she was having difficulty controlling her head.
Her legs also started trembling. We gave her Nutti drench directly through the oral syringe.
I made a sprinkle of herbs and spices along with wheat germ, nutritional yeast and brewers yeast. I would sprinkle that on the food every time we have them fresh (unmediated) food.
It continued to worsen, so we went to the vet.
she had an injection of super B complex that contained an appropriate amount of niacin, Vitamin E injection and 3 days of antibiotics in case it was botulism.
Still no improvement.
She can stand and walk a little ways, flap her wings, but 90% of the time she is laying down with her head bent under her.
I have to feed her and she cannot swim, so I get into the water with her (we have a pond) and let her float while I hold her head up.
She quacks repeatedly and loudly every time we pick her up, completely freaking out, as if she has never been held before! But she has. :)
i don’t know if she is in pain, but her quality of life is terrible and it breaks my heart to see her like this.
If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.
thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 8EC40D10-2F52-4CC1-8184-71C695439A84.jpeg
    8EC40D10-2F52-4CC1-8184-71C695439A84.jpeg
    773.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    841.8 KB · Views: 9
It looks like torticollis, probably neurological or a birth defect. There’s no way to know for certain tho. If it were a vitamin deficiency there would have been improvement within 48 hours. She doesn’t have the strength in her right leg to stand very long. It’s so sad to see her, she looks at you with such a pleasing look. 🥺🥺🥺

I had a ducking with this exact problem. Head drooping like that and also leg spasams, just one leg. Quality of life was terrible.

what did you do? We’re actually considering having the vet euthanize her, but we don’t want to give up on her if it only takes patience for her to improve. Did yours get better?

No, she isn’t a crested duck, but she does have a fuzzy area on her skull, but we can’t tell if it is just the funky arch of her neck.

Back
Top Bottom