Wry neck from injury with predator

Poor thing really took some blows in the attack. I hope the antibiotic helps her get over this. Will she get into a nice warm bath just thinking maybe the warm water would feel good on her neck and help it to relax.
Yep, green isn't good if metallic green. Getting some nourishment into her will hopefully help too.
I got her first feeding done. Easy peasy but still nerve-wracking putting it in. Gave her a shot of b vitamins, antibiotics, borrow it gabapentin. Hopefully that will do it. We'll have to start all over again early this evening.

I'm waiting for the supplies but meanwhile I am going to give her some chick formula in a cup very watery so that she can maybe drink it while we're waiting. She looks like she's just holding stable. I did give her some antibiotics because her poop is green and someone told me that either green or yellow poop is bad. I thought it was just because she eats grass. And now she's not eating at all so of course it's water. But she said yeah Green is not good so I added antibiotics. I also got a prescription for gabapentin and she seems to be a little bit more mobile. She's able to move her neck back and forth but she still can't hold it up without leaning on her back
Bright green is bilirubin from the liver/ gall bladder.
Normally most of it is reabsorbed and recycled by the body and used multiple times to help digest food. Some comes out in droppings, often as a dark green to brown color which is normal. Bright green is a sign something’s wrong.

When there’s something wrong with with certain organs the body isn’t able to reabsorb the bilirubin and it comes out that bright green color, heavy metal poisoning, fatty liver, liver failure, cancer something wrong with the gall bladder or bile duct can cause this BUT! this isn’t the only cause!

The other cause of bright green droppings can be a severe digestive disturbance like an infection, parasites, or poisoning which causes bowl contents to leave the body too quickly not giving enough time for the bilirubin to be reabsorbed.

Example: one of my geese has a Giardia/ coccidia infection and when his droppings don’t look a mass of mucous and blood they look like this
B0CA611B-AF8A-4001-8721-7D74E2C843D8.jpeg
495249F7-9FAB-4904-80EE-939E01FB8B44.jpeg

The other cause is lack of eating for a long time which is more than likely what’s going on with her as we know she isn’t eating.

This was my gander Roxby’s droppings when he stopped eating for several days.

4B386B2B-A750-4358-A8A9-542C42517345.jpeg

When you see that after a few days of them not eating anorexia is setting in and they need food bad. The organs are going to stop functioning normally.

Her immune system is more than likely weakened from everything so there’s probably a good chance she also has caught something, so it was a smart move putting her on antibiotics.
Absolutely try mixing some feed with water like you said, mix it to make a soupy mash, it can encourage them to eat sometimes.

If that doesn’t work you can try taking strips of lettuce and make tiny wraps with a little damp feed in it and stuffing it down her throat. it isn’t much but it’s better than nothing, it’s what I did when I was waiting on Roxby’s formula to arrive and I couldn’t get him to eat.

Keep in mind it’s easy for them to choke on the wraps, So you want to dip the wrap in water before you stuff it down the throat so it glides down easy. Her neck kink is going to make it tricky so you’ll want to hold her head up and gently guide the “lump” down.
You can also pop small grapes and berries and strawberry slices down her throat which slide down pretty easy.

You may need a stronger anti inflammatory, even up it to steroid level.
I’ve used dexamethasone in one of my geese. I’ve never used prednisone.

Keep in mind Corticosteroids are very dangerous to birds because it greatly increases their chance of catching a fungal infection, so keeping them on it for a short period of time and in a sterile environment is critical.

If you can find dexamethasone through questionable means like I did half a 4 ml pill for The first day to 3 days, then you taper them by cutting them into half of half and so on each day until it’s gone. It may not seem like much but it’s really powerful stuff and it has to be weaned off.

Back
Top Bottom