Wry neck from injury with predator

perhaps @Goosebaby has tube fed a goose before. I have tube fed a duck. I dont see any instructional videos online either. I am guessing you may have to measure her neck from mouth to crop and thats how long the tube would go in. For a duck it's 6 inches.

A lamb feeding tube is About the right length and you can pass recovery formula or feed mixed with water at the consistency of gruel through it.

these thingies https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...tm_term=4584207590674336&utm_content=Ad group

some air tubing like @Egggcessive will also work, they know more than I do about it because I haven’t tried using one, I used a lamb tube my vet gave me.

Casportpony has an article about tube feeding https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...tm_term=4584207590674336&utm_content=Ad group

How I tube fed my gander Roxby was by:
mixing a high protein feed “30% purina game bird start” and mixing it with boiling water. you’ll probably have to add water to maintain a soupy consistency because the feed expands and gets gummy.

let it cool until it’s cool enough that you can stir it with your finger without getting burned but it’s still warm.

with a 60 ml catheter tip syringe (you can get these off Amazon or tractor supply) fill the entire tube with the mix, try to keep it free of bubbles as much as possible. If it seems too much you can try filling it only to the 40 to 50ml mark.

you can lubricate the tube with petroleum jelly or with a little water.

crouch over your goose, you want to use your legs and body to restrain them but not let your body weight rest on them.

with one hand reach over the top of the bill and apply pressure to the corners of the mouth until she opens, insert the tube down HER right side of the throat, you might see the tube bulge on the right side of her neck but if not you’ll be able to feel it. Inert the tube down her throat and then hit the plunger on the syringe, the. Remove the tube. Hold the head upright for a moment or two.

The faster the process is don’t the easier it is surprisingly, and it’s also less stressful for her.
Tube feeding is really daunting at first but after a few times you’ll both get the hang of it and it isn’t that difficult to do in reality.

From what I’ve noticed with my gander Roxby is that 2 to 3 feedings a day is enough to keep them alive, tube feeding every two hours a day, around 6 times in total will start putting weight on them.
Your goose is a Chinese, a lighter breed than my Toulouse so she’s probably going to get more out of the feed, so if you can try to aim for 2 to 4 feedings if you can that might be plenty.

She may have been pounced on by the predator and that is why that part of her neck is the way it is. Hopefully, she will begin to feel better especially after you get some food into her.
I've never had to tube feed my geese only my chickens and a few ducks I used baby bird food.

The first time I tubed I had my husband hold my duck wrapped in a towel to keep the wings flat.
After the first time I just did it by myself.

Last edited:
KayTee Baby Bird Feed is used by some to tube feed, as you probably know already. Some grind up chicken feed in the food processor and thin with a lot of water just before feeding. The aquarium air tubing and oxygen tubing is good for medium thick fluids, but not thicker feeds.@Casportpony is good with giving sizes of the size tubes, as well as most other info on tube feeding. This set from Amazon looks about right for feeding:
https://www.amazon.com/LBH-Market-F...eterinary+feeding+tube&qid=1696098641&sr=8-19

Do you think that red tubing that you use for chickens is the right kind of tubing or is it just not hard enough I'm just thinking it's not hard enough to push its way down all that way.
perhaps @Goosebaby has tube fed a goose before. I have tube fed a duck. I dont see any instructional videos online either. I am guessing you may have to measure her neck from mouth to crop and thats how long the tube would go in. For a duck it's 6 inches.

KayTee Baby Bird Feed is used by some to tube feed, as you probably know already. Some grind up chicken feed in the food processor and thin with a lot of water just before feeding. The aquarium air tubing and oxygen tubing is good for medium thick fluids, but not thicker feeds.@Casportpony is good with giving sizes of the size tubes, as well as most other info on tube feeding. This set from Amazon looks about right for feeding:
https://www.amazon.com/LBH-Market-F...eterinary+feeding+tube&qid=1696098641&sr=8-19
That's crazy! I just bought that syringe and tube! And it's one day delivery so I'm going to get it tomorrow. And yeah I'm going to use that I think it is Katie might start with a z some sort of baby chick formula. I use that with my chickens and it works really well.

I'm waiting for the supplies but meanwhile I am going to give her some chick formula in a cup very watery so that she can maybe drink it while we're waiting. She looks like she's just holding stable. I did give her some antibiotics because her poop is green and someone told me that either green or yellow poop is bad. I thought it was just because she eats grass. And now she's not eating at all so of course it's water. But she said yeah Green is not good so I added antibiotics. I also got a prescription for gabapentin and she seems to be a little bit more mobile. She's able to move her neck back and forth but she still can't hold it up without leaning on her back

Poor thing really took some blows in the attack. I hope the antibiotic helps her get over this. Will she get into a nice warm bath just thinking maybe the warm water would feel good on her neck and help it to relax.
Yep, green isn't good if metallic green. Getting some nourishment into her will hopefully help too.

Back
Top Bottom