Wry neck? HELP!

Katyrightmeow

In the Brooder
May 3, 2022
My buff Orpington is six years old. She’s our best hen. Recently she’s acquired what we believe to be wry neck. Tonight it’s bad. She lost her balance and fell off the roost. She’s a big girl so I think she fell hard. Other than her neck she’s physically okay. Just slowing down a bit with her age, but very much herself. I’ve been supplementing selenium and vitamin e. It’s helped a bit but not much. Photos don’t really show when I’ve caught her and it’s bad. Other than the one with her in the towel, her head is completely upside down and she couldn’t right it herself.

Attachments

• DD8BB6F2-A1AD-4591-B83B-DD3481A41A88.jpeg
    DD8BB6F2-A1AD-4591-B83B-DD3481A41A88.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 35
  • F71A8F87-B191-4AAB-A9CC-458F40A92642.jpeg
    F71A8F87-B191-4AAB-A9CC-458F40A92642.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 1CC8CCEE-3A01-44BC-85D4-44E1E2DF22B5.jpeg
    1CC8CCEE-3A01-44BC-85D4-44E1E2DF22B5.jpeg
    654 KB · Views: 24
I’ve been supplementing selenium and vitamin e. It’s helped a bit but not much.
How much selenium are you giving? That can be overdone.

Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 B-Complex. A treat of egg once a day has sufficient Selenium.

Have you looked her over for lice/mites?
Have you added any new birds recently?

How much selenium are you giving? That can be overdone.

Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 B-Complex. A treat of egg once a day has sufficient Selenium.

Have you looked her over for lice/mites?
Have you added any new birds recently?
Okay I will try the b vitamins with the e! Thank you!
I’m giving her 25mcg of selenium, but not everyday.

No mites or lice. She dust bathes regularly and we put wood ash and DE in their dust bath areas. No new birds. This came out of nowhere. We are going to try to get her an emergency vet appt tomorrow since we haven’t seen much improvement.

Okay I will try the b vitamins with the e! Thank you!
I’m giving her 25mcg of selenium, but not everyday.

No mites or lice. She dust bathes regularly and we put wood ash and DE in their dust bath areas. No new birds. This came out of nowhere. We are going to try to get her an emergency vet appt tomorrow since we haven’t seen much improvement.
Oh, you're good on the Selenium then. A lot of people overdose it or misread mcg for mg so that's why I asked:)

It could be age related, but if your vet can check her over that would be good.
So frustrating when our older sweet Gals start having issues. I hope she starts to improve.

Oh, you're good on the Selenium then. A lot of people overdose it or misread mcg for mg so that's why I asked:)

It could be age related, but if your vet can check her over that would be good.
So frustrating when our older sweet Gals start having issues. I hope she starts to improve.
Thank you for all of your info! We took her in and it looks like she had an ear infection, which I also suspected. However her breathing was labored. She’s older and a big girl so we thought maybe the heat was getting to her. We had X-rays done and it turns out she had a massive tumor taking up 80% of her body. We decided to put her down. It was hard but she was really struggling and unable to do much without us. I’m so sad but I know she’s not in pain anymore.

Thank you for all of your info! We took her in and it looks like she had an ear infection, which I also suspected. However her breathing was labored. She’s older and a big girl so we thought maybe the heat was getting to her. We had X-rays done and it turns out she had a massive tumor taking up 80% of her body. We decided to put her down. It was hard but she was really struggling and unable to do much without us. I’m so sad but I know she’s not in pain anymore.
I'm glad you were able to have her checked out, but sorry to hear the sad news. :hugs

These poor sweet hens, they can hide so much until they just can't. It's never easy letting them go, but having information like that makes it a little easier to accept.

Back
Top Bottom