Wry neck/injury...is he gonna die?

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
I posted a few days ago about my missing chick being found but head kinda sideways and clumsy. No one answered so I left him be. Well yesterday it was a little worse but he was running around with his brothers and sisters, eatin really well. Today, I came in and his head was upside down. Completely turned upside down and he kept rolling onto his back. He was still eating and drinking so I did research and discovered its wry neck. I gave him 2 poly vi sol drops. Came out a couple hours later and he was totally stuck upside down and kinda twitching. I brought him in and he's shivering. I thought maybe hes seizing but he fell right asleep in my hands. When he's asleep he doesn't twitch, only when awake so I don't think its seizures. But it is unusual for him to sleep in my hands. I got him in box with a sock propped under his neck because he can't seem to sleep because his heads upside down. Does wry neck actually kill them? Or is it the not eating and what not that does it. I hate to cull him if there's a chance, but if its hopeless then I dont' want him to suffer.

I posted a few days ago about my missing chick being found but head kinda sideways and clumsy. No one answered so I left him be. Well yesterday it was a little worse but he was running around with his brothers and sisters, eatin really well. Today, I came in and his head was upside down. Completely turned upside down and he kept rolling onto his back. He was still eating and drinking so I did research and discovered its wry neck. I gave him 2 poly vi sol drops. Came out a couple hours later and he was totally stuck upside down and kinda twitching. I brought him in and he's shivering. I thought maybe hes seizing but he fell right asleep in my hands. When he's asleep he doesn't twitch, only when awake so I don't think its seizures. But it is unusual for him to sleep in my hands. I got him in box with a sock propped under his neck because he can't seem to sleep because his heads upside down. Does wry neck actually kill them? Or is it the not eating and what not that does it. I hate to cull him if there's a chance, but if its hopeless then I dont' want him to suffer.
I had one do the same thing. She did get better, but it wasn't easy. I found a small box and put my chick in it with towels around to keep it upright. She couldn't eat or drink on her own, so I had to tube feed and force feed her. If you can, keep him inside so he stays warm and keep offering food and water. As long as he is eating and drinking you should be fine. If you don't already have one, get a digital kitchen scale from Walmart or Target and start to weigh him daily. If he's not gaining weight, he needs more food. Remember not to feed or water an animal that is hypothermic... Make sure he's nice and warm before offering water. If you need info on tube feeding, let me know.

thank you! You've given me hope! I forgot to add that I didn't notice any injurty when I found him, but today I noticed a small head injury near his ear. Just a little hole and some blood. But...after he slept a bit in front of the heater, he is perked right up and eating peas and mealworms! I've never seen a chicken catch a worm with his head upside down but he does it! If yours can do it and not be eating and drinking, then I feel like he can too! I left him with his broodmates, because I thought that was better for him. But he must have been hypothermic. ITs getting quite cold and the rest left to free range and he was by himself. I think he'll be an indoor chicken till he's better. My husband will be mad...but he always says things about how he hates them, and can't stand them. Yet, somehow he's the one spending more time with them and gives me updates on new things they do and whatnot. He really just hates the rooster. He can't stand the crowing. I'm soo happy he's already perked up!

thank you! You've given me hope! I forgot to add that I didn't notice any injurty when I found him, but today I noticed a small head injury near his ear. Just a little hole and some blood. But...after he slept a bit in front of the heater, he is perked right up and eating peas and mealworms! I've never seen a chicken catch a worm with his head upside down but he does it! If yours can do it and not be eating and drinking, then I feel like he can too! I left him with his broodmates, because I thought that was better for him. But he must have been hypothermic. ITs getting quite cold and the rest left to free range and he was by himself. I think he'll be an indoor chicken till he's better. My husband will be mad...but he always says things about how he hates them, and can't stand them. Yet, somehow he's the one spending more time with them and gives me updates on new things they do and whatnot. He really just hates the rooster. He can't stand the crowing. I'm soo happy he's already perked up!
I'm happy for you. Keeping him warm enough will really help. If you husband complains, just show him this, lol. This is my sick peachick, sick keet and healthy kitty. It was cold that day.

Sad news...I let my baby out with his brothers and sisters to run around a bit since it was warm. He was doing very well keeping up. He had a few moments where he'd flip over and he'd get stuck going in circles but overall he was doing great. I went to pick my daughter up from school. She ran out back and started screaming. He fell into the pool and drowned. :( For some reason they chickens and chicks prefer to drink out of my pool than their daily fresh water. I think he tried to do the same and tumbled in. He has a really hard time drinking, makes him lose his balance. Now my roo is injured. Its not been a good few days.

I would definately cover up the pool or empty the water in it. Poultry usually always try to drink out of the biggest supply.

Sad news...I let my baby out with his brothers and sisters to run around a bit since it was warm. He was doing very well keeping up. He had a few moments where he'd flip over and he'd get stuck going in circles but overall he was doing great. I went to pick my daughter up from school. She ran out back and started screaming. He fell into the pool and drowned. :( For some reason they chickens and chicks prefer to drink out of my pool than their daily fresh water. I think he tried to do the same and tumbled in. He has a really hard time drinking, makes him lose his balance. Now my roo is injured. Its not been a good few days.
I'm so sorry...

Back
Top Bottom