Wry neck? *Pics added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by classicsredone, Sep 22, 2011.

1. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    9 week old silkie

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Was found hiding in cinder block in coop that is used for their roost. DH pulled her out to find her over heated and with a limp neck. We cooled her down in lukewarm water and held her head up out of the water. Then she was wrapped in a light tea towel while we got a cage ready for inside. I put in with some of her crumbles, electrolyte water, and then made some scrambled eggs. I added some probiotic powder to the eggs once they cooled. She is able to eat with a little effort, and her crop is filling up. She has had some water to drink and has pooped. She does not like to be separated from her "twin" that looks just like her, and is cheeping for her and seems to be looking for her. Her neck is flopped to the right, and though she can control it enough to eat and drink, it looks like it takes some effort.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Just discovered less than an hour ago.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    They were overheated, but reacted fine after cooling them down.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No, no sign of trauma.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Possibly vitamin deficiency?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    They are fed mostly Purina crumbles, with some cool melon or squash from the garden if it is hot. She is now eating the scrambled eggs, crumbles, and drinking electrolyte water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Electrolytes, probiotics, scrambled egg for protein, and sent husband to the store for Poly-vi-sol without iron.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    We would like to treat completely if possible, unless this is requires vet care.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Don't have one yet, but will get one. The sick baby is standing on the counter in the playhouse below. The silkies prefer to roost there.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Playhouse turned coop for our teenagers. Windows are open during the day for airflow. There is a run area attached that isn't shown. It is in a more permanent area now next to our shed so that it is sheltered. They have clean shavings on the ground.

[​IMG]
    IMAG0096 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMAG0097 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Thank you. DH means well but is completely lost with "farm" animals. He went to the feed store after I asked him to run to Walmart for the baby vitamins. Luckily a lady shopping offered to help, and suggested some livestock vitamins to at least get us started until we find the Poly vi sol. We gave her Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes at the correct rate for her waterer size. (The rest of the teenagers and hens got some in theirs, too...just in case.) She seems to be a stronger after eating some food and water, but head control is a little wonky. I'm crossing my finger that this is wry neck and not an injury to her vault.

Here are a couple pictures:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_0018 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

Not happy that I made her perch on the cage for a better view..
    [​IMG]
    IMG_0008 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

(Btw - I know this *might* be a male. I haven't bothered trying to sex them yet as they were born July 17th.)

5. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I started her on Dr. Alan Stanford's protocol. I had a some of it at home and picked up the rest at Walmart. We think she might have bonked her head, so she is getting 2.5mg Prednisone 2x a day, 400 IU Vit. E 2x a day, Poly-vi-sol once a day, and selenium 50 mcg once a day. The 2x a day doses are stepped down the second week, and selenium is given every other day the second week.

I'm hoping and praying that this little one pulls through and recovers. She's still getting electrolytes for today (took out the vitamins so she doesn't overdose), getting probiotics, and we're cooking an egg for her every for hours or so to add to her crumbles.

Edit - typo

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You should be good with the meds you have started her on. The vitamin E works really well.

7. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Quote:Thank you!

8. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Just be careful with the Prednisone. It has to be given exactly right, or can cause complications. I used bubble wrap around the neck and then brace the bubble wrap by wrapping easily removable tape under each wing, back up and secure it to the bubble wrap. I do that on each wing, so they are stabilized. I got her through the wry neck, I thought, but she relapsed and was severe. After 2 weeks I decided to put her down.

Wry neck can be easily fixed. I would continue the treatment for a while after she recovers, so maybe she doesn't have relapse, like mine did. I think the heat brings it on too. Mine did this when it was about 110 here.

9. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Yeah, I think heat might have had something to do with it, as well. They've only been outside full time for a couple weeks, and it has been 100* this week. I take prednisone here and there, so I had some on hand and am familiar with the tapering needed.

Did you leave the bubble all the time? Or just while feeding/dosing medicines?

10. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I left it on all the time, and hand fed and watered her until she gained control on her own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by