Wry neck? *Pics added

She's doing a little better today. She's still lopsided, but she isn't walking in circles anymore. Luckily she sits pretty patiently to get her medicine, and trills and then drifts off to sleep. I've seen her be able to pull her head straight, even if it is for a second or two. I definitely breathed a sigh of relief this morning when she was up and walking around. We moved her into the living room, so she's got some company, too.

Our little unnamed silkie is doing better. It is taking time, but she isn't locked down as much when she startles. She's also eating a lot more, and having an easier time drinking. She/he is still inside with us, and seems happy with it for now. I can't handle the smell of the vitamins, so my husband has been handling it. He said she's able to put up more of a fight against getting the meds, so I guess that is a good sign as well.

Glad to hear she is doing better. I think you might have a hen by the little I saw in the pictures.

My showgirl is doing about the same. It is when she gets stressed that her head tucks under. She has managed to cut herself on the neck twice now when she hits the shavings with her neck when she goes into an episode. It doesn't help that she has a necked neck, being a showgirl.

I was able to get a few prednisone tablets but not enough for a full two week dosage so I am cutting the dose down so I can wean her off as reccomended. you may want to re evaluate the dose since I think Dr Stanfords dosage is for a 2 lb bird.

Hope your chick continues to improve !!
fl.gif

Just an FYI for anyone reading this that is going thru the same thing. Feeding scrambled eggs for the protein is good also egg is very high in Vitamin E and Selenium !!

She's getting about 1/2 of what was recommended, since she's small and that's about as small as we can cut the pills I have down. I was lucky enough to have a full bottle for myself, so we just used those. I wish I had smaller dosage tablets, though. I think she is a girl, too. I think the other two are a male and female, respectively. We just have to wait and see.
smile.png

Btw - we use Advanced Bedding Management pellets. They work great, don't stink, and last longer than shavings. We only use shavings in the roost area of our A-frame coop since we scoop it so often. Our sick girl is in a cage with the ABM as bedding, and it seems to be working pretty well. She has a good footing, and it absorbs most of the chicken smell. The only thing it didn't help was the stink of the selenium when she wasn't eating as much. To my pregnant nose, that was unbearable. She's increased her intake, though, so we don't smell the selenium anymore.

Back
Top Bottom