Wry neck? Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Glenny22, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Glenny22

Glenny22 New Egg

Jul 2, 2010
    Hi,
    for the second night in a row now i have found one of my 6 week old chick outside stressing with his/her head upside down. In the day time it acts normal but has its head tilted to one side slightly. However it is still eating and drinking normally. I have taken it inside where it calm down and falls asleep normally.

It is a polish bantam (apparently more likely to get wry neck from an injury).

Anyone know what i should do? Is it contagious? etc.

The more answers the better [​IMG]

Thanks.

This Video is exactly what mine is doing [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. deuce11705

deuce11705 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  3. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

I had a silkie a couple of weeks ago doing the same thing - I give him/her Polyvisol a childrens liquid vitamin (2x drops in the morning and 1x drop in the evening) and 1x vitamin E gel cap twice a day for about 2 weeks.. but weaning him/her off of it and it is doing great now..

Is it contagious? NO

maybe this will help
    best of luck

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
  4. Cinderellasnickers08

Cinderellasnickers08 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    4myboysandme,

Thanks for putting the doses of what to give! I've been asking and asking with no response from anyone till now. I have a black silkie with wry neck. She's about 12 weeks old and has had wry neck for a little over a week now. I'm just now been seeing results from hand feeding and watering her several times a day to make any kind of a chance for her. She's very interested in trying to eat, just gets all excited about getting the food that she starts her curling & shaking of her head and gets all upset about it when she can't control it. The vertigo is horrible for her to focus on where her head should go. I help her guide her neck and head in the right position careful not to hurt her to her food. Some times she gets it in her beak with a shoveling action to one side. Other times I just push it in the beak area for her to gobble some up. She seems happy to work at it that way. But I'm concerned she's getting too dependent on my help to get the food to her beak.
    She's very light, feels like just a shell of a chicken compared to her mate that has not shown any of this neurological problem. I think it's from getting her head conked on the feeder by another chicken. I've been giving a drop for the first few days of a vitamin supplement with E in it 3-4 times a day. But didn't really know what kind of dosage it should be. I don't think she's heavy enough to be a pound so far, and I didn't want to over dose her. In the last few days I increased it to 2 drops 3 times a day. It seems to be making the difference on her recovery. I still don't want to give her too much. I'm giving it with about 10 cc's of water mixed with some feed that's soaked to be a soup for her some for added nutrition, since she's so underfed from this ailment. I give the water solution 3-4 times a day too. Is this enough for her to survive on? I don't feel like she's getting enough and don't want her dehydrated from too little. Her crop is very small, so I don't want to over do it too.
    Just knowing how much of what helps. My concern is if I've got it right now or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated from anyone:)
    Thanks.

5. TC_BokBok

TC_BokBok Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Traverse City, MI
    For what it's worth I myself have gone through Wry Neck with one of my Urban Flock, a little Black Australorp named Tink. I documented our journey through what happened and my treatment as well as my learning along the way. I'm very happy to say she pulled out of it and is now a healthy 19 week old girl.

I'll just post a link to my blog article where I start talking about it and you can follow along by looking at the posts that come afterwords in the Blog Archive named "Wry Neck - Day XYZ". It goes from May till June. There is too much info for me to post all in one shot right here so if you're interested have a look.

I hope it helps.
    http://tcbokbok.blogspot.com/2010/05/trials-and-tribulations-of-seelys-loung.html

6. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    mine also had wry neck about 2 months ago-thanks to the forum-I gave her 3drops of polyvisol (without iron) a day-mixed with just a little water and mixed in 500mg of vitamin E-put in all in small container she would drink it up-did that for 1 week-told only to give the polyvisol 1 week only but continue with the vitamin e 1 more week- it took almost 3 weeks but now shes perfect and beautiful-when i did give her the fluids I would gently hold her neck up and kept her in a sperate cage with 2 small containers attached to the side (like a bird feeder) so she would reach for water and food-I think that really helped (almost like therapy). It took me almost 2 weeks to figure out she had wry neck-everyone I know thought she had worms-so I dewormed her first then through this forum found out about wry neck. Make sure its not worms also. She did become just a little spoiled!!!! [​IMG]

7. Cinderellasnickers08

Cinderellasnickers08 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Thank you everyone! The dosages will help me greatly, and the ideas for hanging the food containers up higher to help her head keep straighter and grow stronger neck muscles with her healing. I am so glad I found this site and just in time it seems too! Again thanks to all of you, you've been Wonderful!

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    honest this happened....

i have a cochin chicken that had wry neck... didnt treat with anything,,, it dissappeared completly after a week. i felt so bad for her.... she has completly recovered from it.
    shes my truly special gal. i thought she was going to be doomed. this was months now i am talking about. things could change.
    good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by