Wry Neck recovery

Lgrearly

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2021
One of my button quail chicks developed wry neck around 5 days old. She is now about 4 weeks old and has since recovered and her neck is straight again. She is able to get around just fine, she eats and drinks and even chases crickets with the other 2 birds that hatched with heršŸ˜ but her leg is still stretched all the way out to the right. Is there a way to fix that? I've done a lot of research to see if she is in pain and it doesn't appear that is the case. The two others in her cage don't seem to pick on her or anything. Her name is Lucky and she seems to be a very sweet and happy bird, just with a bum leg. Is it okay to just keep the three of them together and let her live as happy as possible or do I need to put her down?

As long as she is eating, drinking without problems and no mobility issues, than I'd let her live a normal life that is possible for her conditions. If it worsens or is unable to have a reasonably normal life, then I would consider culling.
I wouldn't consider her for breeding, either.

As long as she is eating, drinking without problems and no mobility issues, than I'd let her live a normal life that is possible for her conditions. If it worsens or is unable to have a reasonably normal life, then I would consider culling.
I wouldn't consider her for breeding, either.
Definitely no breeding for heršŸ‘

It's not a slipped tendon, is it? Does bending the leg cause the toes to curl-uncurl and can you feel something like a 'string' out of place under the skin on the ankle?

Also, does she have any feeling in the leg? Does she react to it being pinched or have any mobility in it at all?

There is also a condition that can be caused by slick bedding where the legs are splinted together to support proper posture and weight distribution to resolve the issue - sorry, haven't had to deal with this personally, but if it seems to be a muscular thing, where she has feeling and is able to move it, might be worth looking into.

It's not a slipped tendon, is it? Does bending the leg cause the toes to curl-uncurl and can you feel something like a 'string' out of place under the skin on the ankle?

Also, does she have any feeling in the leg? Does she react to it being pinched or have any mobility in it at all?

There is also a condition that can be caused by slick bedding where the legs are splinted together to support proper posture and weight distribution to resolve the issue - sorry, haven't had to deal with this personally, but if it seems to be a muscular thing, where she has feeling and is able to move it, might be worth looking into.
She uses it to balance herself and to launch herself forward. I have noticed that sometimes one of the other birds will step on that leg and she definitely feels it. I considered taking her in to get it amputated but she seems to rely on that leg alot...I never thought about the tendons but I will check that this evening.
Thank you šŸ˜

She uses it to balance herself and to launch herself forward. I have noticed that sometimes one of the other birds will step on that leg and she definitely feels it. I considered taking her in to get it amputated but she seems to rely on that leg alot...I never thought about the tendons but I will check that this evening.
Thank you šŸ˜
To check the tendon, gently pinch the hock (knee) between your thumb and index finger and roll it gently like youā€™re rolling a pencil between the fingers, if the tendon slipped, it will snap back in place, but if it was slipped it will most like happen over and over.

Back
Top Bottom