Wry neck? Something else?

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
This little chick (cockerel, I think) hatched 20 days ago from an incubator, along with 7 siblings. Today I while moving them into a larger brooder house, I noticed him holding his head almost upside down, and seemingly wandering lost. "Wry neck" I thought, after reading some helpful posts right here on Backyard Chickens. As advised, I mixed 1 capsule vitamin-E 400iu with some starter feed and egg white (for selenium to absorb the vit-E), then brought him inside to start treatment. I've never dealt with it before. He ate a little, but then stuck his head between his legs and scrambled backwards uncontrollably, until he backed into something or I caught him - almost fell off the table twice! He did this several times. I got him to take a little feed, maybe enough to cover my thumbnail. Later this evening, he seemed to be holding his head up a bit higher, but still scrambled backwards with his head below his belly, once. He was hungrier, ate about a thimbleful, and drank some water. He's back in the brooder with his siblings tonight. I'll bring him in for another morning feeding. Do you think this is wry neck, or something else? And am I doing the right thing to save him?
(I tried to upload a video, but can't figure out how!)

Last edited:
To upload videos you need to post it to YouTube or vimeo.

If you click the circled button it will show what other things you can use besides youtube or vimeo.
Capture+_2022-05-06-23-13-04.png

Good luck,I hope your duckling or chick? can get better.
Hopefully a more knowledgeable member then me will chime in and be able to help.

Yes that appears to be wry neck which is a neurological symptom. It also can include walking backward and in circles. It can be due to a vitamin E or thiamine (B1) deficiency, head or neck injury, and in older chickens, can be a sign of certain diseases that affect the brain. I would continue the E, and include some B complex for thiamine, 1/4 tablet daily. Give them orally. Use scrambled egg or add the yolk for selenium. I would treat at least 2 weeks or more. Chickens who aren’t able to eat might benefit from feeding a watery mash of chicken feed, egg, and water. Here is a good video:

I couldn't stand it anymore. The poor little thing was getting worse by the hour, in spite of feeding him the mash mixture. We put him out of his misery a little while ago. 😢 I could get him to eat a little only by holding feed in the palm of my hand, while supporting his upper body and neck with the other. But then he'd sag into my hand from exhaustion, trembled, and the spasms would start again. I held him, instantly falling asleep, but then tremors would begin again. I surmised that he was too exhausted to feed and could not get rest. The spasms were nearly continuous in the last attempted feeding, with only brief breaks during which he would fall asleep.

For what it's worth and sharing of information, his tremors were accompanied by what appeared to be insufferable itching. When he could hold his head up, he constantly groomed and picked at his growing feathers. No evidence of mites I could see. I wonder if the itchiness is related to the wry-neck syndrome. ???

Anyway, thanks for the information and support. I'll now know what to look for if it happens to another. Sadly, I don't have much hope for recovery, for whatever reason caused it.

I couldn't stand it anymore. The poor little thing was getting worse by the hour, in spite of feeding him the mash mixture. We put him out of his misery a little while ago. 😢 I could get him to eat a little only by holding feed in the palm of my hand, while supporting his upper body and neck with the other. But then he'd sag into my hand from exhaustion, trembled, and the spasms would start again. I held him, instantly falling asleep, but then tremors would begin again. I surmised that he was too exhausted to feed and could not get rest. The spasms were nearly continuous in the last attempted feeding, with only brief breaks during which he would fall asleep.

For what it's worth and sharing of information, his tremors were accompanied by what appeared to be insufferable itching. When he could hold his head up, he constantly groomed and picked at his growing feathers. No evidence of mites I could see. I wonder if the itchiness is related to the wry-neck syndrome. ???

Anyway, thanks for the information and support. I'll now know what to look for if it happens to another. Sadly, I don't have much hope for recovery, for whatever reason caused it.
Bump - it doesn't look like it's showing up in the feed....

:hugsI'm sorry to hear about the little fella.
I'm sure it was a hard decision and heartbreaking.
Thank you taking care of him and for the update.

As for the itching, I have seen a few people mention that as well, so it just well may be related to the symptoms of Wry Neck. We can't know what they feel, so possibly some type of tingling that makes them feel like something crawling or itching...just speculation on my part.

This little chick (cockerel, I think) hatched 20 days ago from an incubator, along with 7 siblings. Today I while moving them into a larger brooder house, I noticed him holding his head almost upside down, and seemingly wandering lost. "Wry neck" I thought, after reading some helpful posts right here on Backyard Chickens. As advised, I mixed 1 capsule vitamin-E 400iu with some starter feed and egg white (for selenium to absorb the vit-E), then brought him inside to start treatment. I've never dealt with it before. He ate a little, but then stuck his head between his legs and scrambled backwards uncontrollably, until he backed into something or I caught him - almost fell off the table twice! He did this several times. I got him to take a little feed, maybe enough to cover my thumbnail. Later this evening, he seemed to be holding his head up a bit higher, but still scrambled backwards with his head below his belly, once. He was hungrier, ate about a thimbleful, and drank some water. He's back in the brooder with his siblings tonight. I'll bring him in for another morning feeding. Do you think this is wry neck, or something else? And am I doing the right thing to save him?
(I tried to upload a video, but can't figure out how!)
I had the same problem. I put 1/4 cup molasses in their 5 gallon waterer. I gave them sprouted alfalfa and grass clippings. I also started fermented chick starter. They live it! After 4 days, they were walking upright. I have 11 geese. One started walking with his head down and cocked to the side. I immediately thought mineral deficiency and added molasses. On the second day another gosling started showing signs. It took him 3 days to show improvement. I called the hatchery and they told me about grass clippings and recommended alfalfa meal. Since I already had sprouts in the fridge, I gave them to my them. After 2 days they are walking straight and acting more vigorous. Yours may be more progressed so it may take longer.

Back
Top Bottom