Wry neck...Treat or euthanize?? UPDATED with GREAT results!!

Pics
I was the one being attacked, i already stated i use proper feed with thamin etc. The breeder may have not fed a proper d. Diet . Now i have had to deal with trying ti save the birds , i apreciate peoples advice here but please read what i post, before assuming i did not feed properly.

I was the one being attacked, i already stated i use proper feed with thamin etc. The breeder may have not fed a proper d. Diet . Now i have had to deal with trying ti save the birds , i apreciate peoples advice here but please read what i post, before assuming i did not feed properly. I dont recommend corid either as there are other safer cocci sulfa based treatments that work well.

I was the one being attacked, i already stated i use proper feed with thamin etc. The breeder may have not fed a proper d. Diet . Now i have had to deal with trying ti save the birds , i apreciate peoples advice here but please read what i post, before assuming i did not feed properly. I dont recommend corid either as there are other safer cocci sulfa based treatments that work well.

Good to know, thanks! Did you know that sometimes wry neck can be cause from a bacterial infection?

-Kathy

Yes, there are other causes to be sure. The symptoms of ataxia are generally missed in the earlier stages and once the classic ' star gazing ' presents itself , the battle to treat is made all that much more difficult. Mycotoxins can cause the same symptoms, neurological disorders in horses after they have been on paddocks with fireweed , ragwort or capeweed are all too common here and the world over. Silkies can be predisposed to wryneck as it is believed that they don't absorb selenium as well as other breeds, for that reason I don't feed a corn based diet to my silkies.
I've bred silkies for 12 years and can honestly say that in that time , I could count on one hand the cases of wryneck I've had in my flock.
At the first sign of trouble I quarantine, supplement feed with vitamins containing vit E and rich in thiamine. Check feed for mildew and change out if necessary.

I am hoping to get folks input who have successfully or unsuccesfully treated birds with wry neck.  I just euthanize a juvenile silkie last week that had wry neck and today I have another one with it.  I've treated 2 others in the past, both unsuccessfully.
I have treated successfully four times now. The key is the vitamins. I feed vitamins and electrolytes but I make it a bit stronger than I normally would. I've also used plain vitamin E capsules. In my opinion the vitamin packs work better. Also you have to start the vitamins at the first signs of wry neck and don't stop until you notice the chick is ok.

My gut reaction is to just go ahead and euthanize the juvenile that I found today, but before I do I wanted to see what others response has been.  I've read just about every internet article that there is and every treatment that folks have used.

I just want to know what your results have been.  I could make this a poll, I suppose????

See page 2 for update and treatment regimen

Can wry neck be caused by an injury? Like a hard bump on landing coming off a high roost? One of my girls, Zazzles, seems to be exhibiting symptoms since yesterday morning and I am starting the vitamin treatment but I did see her have a rough landing the other day and wondered if that may have contributed to this...

Can wry neck be caused by an injury? Like a hard bump on landing coming off a high roost? One of my girls, Zazzles, seems to be exhibiting symptoms since yesterday morning and I am starting the vitamin treatment but I did see her have a rough landing the other day and wondered if that may have contributed to this...

Hi, welcome to BYC. The short answer is yes. A brain injury can lead to the same symptoms.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

I'm so glad I found this post and it's still being accessed by members. I read all 13 pages and have learned alot.
Sadly we have one silkie hen who has wry neck and I believe it be our fault. We'd bought layer feed than hatched chicks so we switched to grower/finisher. we stored the 2 bags of layer in a metal can for like 5 months! I did not know the vitamin in the feed could oxidize. We're now feeding fresh 22% protein feed that I bought to help with egg production that was likely also effected by the old feed. I feel awful, naturally I know the stored feed wouldn't be "fresh" but I had no idea is could harm them.

I saw Delilah with a tilted head on Monday 1/2/17 I assumed her crest was a little heavy because it was dirty. When I picked her up for inspection she did the dreaded upside down head thing. it looks terribly painful.

We had Poly vi sol on hand and have been treating 2-3 times per day. She has no issues eating but I do worry about water. She'd been eating snow but it's melted right now. We'll add eggs and yogurt to help with fluids.

Will be adding the Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, tonight.

Back
Top Bottom