Watermeat

In the Brooder
May 27, 2019
So, one of my two month old chickens has a chase of wry neck. Today, I finally got to start her treatment. I read on a forum somewhere on this website that both chicken and human supplements helped, so today I picked up a bottle of Vitamin E supplements and some foods with selenium to help my girl out.
I picked out a 180 mg bottle, which was the lowest dosage available since she is, after all, a small chicken and not an adult human.
Is there any kind of guide of how much I should give her a day? Sources say to give her Vitamin E 2-3 times a day, but I'm not very aure if it would be good to give her 2-3 tablets everyday. Is it possible for her to overdose, and how much of this should she be getting a day?

Last edited:
So, one of my two month old chickens has a chase of wry neck. Today, I finally got to start her treatment. I read on a forum somewhere on this website that both chicken and human supplements helped, so today I picked up a bottle of Vitamin E supplements and some foods with selenium to help my girl out.
I picked out a 180 mg bottle, which was the lowest dosage available since she is, after all, a small chicken and not an adult human.
Is there any kind of guide of how much I should give her a day? Sources say to give her Vitamin E 2-3 times a day, but I'm not very aure if it would be good to give her 2-3 tablets everyday. Is it possible for her to overdose, and how much of this should she be getting a day?
Can you post some photos of your chick?
What are you feeding her?

Wry Neck is a neurological symptom - some common causes are vitamin deficiency, injury and disease like Marek's.

I would give her 400IU Vitamin E daily and 1/4 tablet of human B-Complex. Give her egg along with her chick starter. See that she's eating/drinking well.

Here's some reading about Marek's
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

IMG_20190520_193426_366.jpg

Here's a picture of her in case that helps

My silkie got wry neck at a few days old and I did vit e selerium brewers yeast but also boiled egg and fresh basil and now 10 weeks old she's doing fab and no signs of wry neck and she was really bad I hand fed her and syringed water in her she was sat on my knee every night being loved for weeks but it paid off.... Fingers crossed for you DSC_1181.JPG DSC_1268.JPG DSC_1352.JPG DSC_1576.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1181.JPG
    DSC_1181.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_1352.JPG
    DSC_1352.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_1576.JPG
    DSC_1576.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 6
Vitamin E 180 mg equals 400 IU, so I would just give that once a day. You can give a little cooked egg for slenium, since only a small amount of selenium is needed, and too much is not good. The B complex is helpful because some wry neck is caused by thiamine (B1) deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom