1. SplashSilkie

SplashSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    I found my hen this morning with her head between her legs and got her head up. I have gave her two doses of vitamin E and baby vitamins and scrabbled eggs. I feel like she has shown improvement. She will be walking around fairly well but all of a sudden she will walk backwards and her head will fall back down and I've also seen some twitching. I thought her crop was compacted but now it feels more like a hard mass. Any ideas what could have happened.

2. MadieWestbrook

MadieWestbrook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Texas
    I had a two-week-old chick with wry neck. She was off-balanced and struggled to eat/drink. We thought we would lose her, but after one week of Vitamin E pills, she was back to normal. I never checked her crop, so I'm not sure about the mass. Also, I never saw her twitch.

If the hen is off-balanced and holding her head either down or up, I believe it's wry neck. With my chick, there was an obvious crook to her neck.

To me, personally, this doesn't seem like wry neck.

3. dsclemens

dsclemens New Egg

Apr 22, 2017
    Oklahoma
    I had a duck with wry neck someone bought at TS and brought it to me. I did the vitamin E and massaged her neck holding it up twice a day. She has always ate and drank fine. She is 3 weeks now and growing her neck is better but not completely well. But from what I have read it can take up to a month.

1 person likes this.
  4. SplashSilkie

Jan 11, 2014

5. SplashSilkie

Jan 11, 2014
    Do you know what it could possibly be? I'm at a loss and not sure what to do it's almost like seizures but she does have a crook in her neck.

6. MadieWestbrook

MadieWestbrook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Texas
    [​IMG]

I'd like to think positively and just say it's a vitamin deficiency. I would google chicken-friendly foods with some of the vitamins listed above. Is she still eating? Has she been laying eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by